Power seat coupler install

tim sewald

Does anyone know the procedure for installing the plastic coupler for the power seat? Where the seat is positioned, I don't think I can remove the seat from the car.

Thanks
Tim

The seat needs to be removed to replace the coupler.

I always make sure my power seats are not in the down position so I can remove the complete seat and brackets from the floor if needed.

When I had to change a coupling on a seat down so far I could not get the anchor nuts off, I had to remove the seat cushion bolts for access, and that is a nasty job.

I "strategically" cut away the plastic from around the coupling, and rotated the gears by hand in order to manipulate the seat so that I could access all 6 mounting nuts.

Thought I would give some recent experience - My T-Type went in for a new headliner. It came back beautiful but they broke the electric seat. My guess is that they slid it back all the way and the old plastic gave way. Underneath the seat the coupler was NOT cracked but just barely turning while the motor turned full speed. $7 for a new one on ebay. Turns out the old coupler was reamed out on the motor side. I WAS able to replace the coupler without taking out the seat. Remove the plastic rail protector on the door side (3 screws.) Remove the electrical connector from the motor. You have to then take a nut driver and remove the "blind" screw on the motor in the center of the seat. Use a nut driver and reach around from the front or the back. The screw faces the front passenger seat. Then the two front screws come off on the motor. Carefully slide the motor out the front and the coupler will likely come off with it. You want to get the coupler equally on the motor and the other side. A gentle tap with a rubber mallet firmly puts the coupler on the motor. Then slide back in and reverse the above steps. Works great. HTH.

You are right. Thanks for the link. I wasn't 100% sure, figured I would get the cheap part and if that didn't work I would start doing more debug and spending more.....