02 sensor

Mike Mags

I just recieved my 02 sensor. I've got 53,000 miles and i thought i would change it. I notice there is a factory washer seal. Should i use some never seiz or other type of compound on the threads?
Will my old one just pop right out?

If you have an AC Delco sensor do not use anti seize. It says it on the package that it already has anti seize on there. The excess lube can make the sensor lose its ground

Originally posted by Mike Mags
I just recieved my 02 sensor. I've got 53,000 miles and i thought i would change it. I notice there is a factory washer seal. Should i use some never seiz or other type of compound on the threads?
Will my old one just pop right out?

Actually you want to wipe off any that might be on it, and use the Copper based antiseize since it is a higher temp rating then the AL stuff.

And yes just a sniggeon is enough

Don't use any "extra" anti-seize. The sensor threads should already have some on them. No more is necessary.

As for the old one, some gentle persuasion should get it out. I think it's a 22mm wrench job. I've changed mine a few times and never really had a problem. There's plenty of other things on the car that are more of a PITA than changing the O2 sensor. It helped for me to remove the turbo heat shield. It gives you a bit more room to work with.

I have found it easier to remove the O2 sensor when the car is warm, rather than when the car has been sitting a while.

Wheel out the 7/8" wrenchb and turn the O2 about an 1/8 turn at a time as you spin the wrench, using the 15° open end. Use anti-seize on the new one. Leave the ECM disconnected for a min of 10 seconds and have it learn the benefits of the new one.
HTH
Jim

Thanks guys for the tips. I got mine from Kirbans. It's in a clear plastic little bag. AC Delco. threads are dry, nothing on them rom factory.
Also, should i discount the battery first before removing or replacing any sensors?

The threads may look dry, but they aren't. There's anti sieze on there.

Also, after I installed injectors and a new chip, I was throwing 44 codes.

Finally changed the 02 sensor and lo and behold, the sensor was actually cracked! Code 44 explained right there.

I replaced it with the AFS22 which is supposedly the GNX sensor (I think it's more resistant to heat and is supposed to cycle faster). Who knows.

And yes, definitely easier to remove when engine is warmed.
Later,
Rich

I tried the GNX O2 sensor one time. All I got was a bunch of code 13's, and bad gas mileage. Put a correct AC Delco unit in, ran great and mileage came back up.:confused: