10 sec GN got killed

toomanymodz

Well, this past Thursday I decided to go to the local car show. Since I'm in the middle of an engine swap, I just drove the Jeep. When I got there, I parked next to a beautiful 87 Grand National that looked very familiar. Turns out I know the guy and hadn't seen him for at least 2 or 3 years. The car runs high tens and is one of the nicest GN's I've seen. We talked and he showed me a picture album including a dyno chart where it made something like 530 RWHP and 612 TQ on 20 psi and alky.

About at that moment a guy pulls up in a stock appearing Cobra and it looked and sounded bone stock except for the pro drag radials on the back. He's like "car runs good eh?" and invites my friend to a little friendly race. I asked "what power adder you got? spraying?" and he replied "nah, just a turbo". I told him to pop the hood so we could see.

He pops the hood and it looks like a bone stock engine, stock manifolds and everything, but sitting between the engine and fan shroud is a big honkin turbo. He said it's a 7675 Precision running 12 psi since the engine was stock. I knew my Grand National friend was out-gunned, and he was nervous about the race anyways, so I offered to ride shot-gun in the Stang. This would add extra weight, plus we agreed to let the GN get the jump.

We drove up to a divided 4 lane with no traffic and was rolling about 50 MPH. My GN buddy punched it and started to pull hard. The guy driving the mustang just had it in Drive and didn't even bother downshifting or anything. The car started pulling so hard that it cracked my back. Within seconds we whipped past the GN like he was standing still and let off at 135+ MPH. This was, hands-down, the fast car I have ever ridden in.

My car runs solid tens also, and this Mustang was in a different league. We proceeded to race four more times. Each one the same story... we'd whip past like he was on the brakes.

I was amazed, yet at the same time humbled and a bit discouraged. My new combo, which hasn't even been installed yet, won't be a match for this street sleeper. He did finally admit that it wasn't stock. He's running a 325 cid stroker, ported heads, 20 psi spraying alky and put down 800+ at the rear wheels. The car looked stock, but was far from it.

My Grand National friend just got hustled. We talked later and he told me that this was his first loss. I felt bad to see one of our brethren lose so badly, and I wish my new combo could "redeem ourselves", but there is no way given my limited budget. It was the ride of my life and I'll just have to remember it in story and be happy with my high 9 second GN that is getting done as I type this.

good story. well, an 800 hp car shud walk a 500 hp car. I'm sure it was a low 9 second car if not better depending on suspension or at least 8 second mph.

sad thing is he probably has HALF the money into that as ur buddy does into his BUT.... how many ppl give the dime a dozen Mustang the thumbs up every time he goes out for a cruise? ill bet almost NEVER!:D

A 2000 mustang, but it was a v6 car when he bought it. Everything has been transplanted. Not sure about the engine, for I know nothing about mustangs. It looked like the typical huge Cobra engine without a supercharger. What floors me is he's running a 3.08 rear gear, and it pulled hard in Drive like mine does in first gear.

My Grand National friend just got hustled. We talked later and he told me that this was his first loss.
roll racing is bull#### the whole art is getting the car to leave, your friend gave him the wrong race.i see 9 sec cars lose to 10/11 sec cars all day long on the street but not from 50 mph;)

What floors me is he's running a 3.08 rear gear, and it pulled hard in Drive like mine does in first gear.
that's the combo when you have 800+ rwhp and a v8,so it doesn't shock the tire or black track the car below 90 mph,also lets him streetability if he is running a glide or turbo 400.

I ran alot of 10 sec cars on the street with my mustang (11.50 car). I won 90% of them because of traction problems. That race should been from a stand still. I would believe it would been a big difference and a equal race. The best hustle I seen was from guy that ran somebody that has a low 9 sec turbo mustang. Same scenario as written. That day a guy with a terminator that only had a pulley on the car gave him a race of only a block and half race for a thousand. That terminator killed the guy. Logic was he could not use his trans brake on a unprepared street,and by the time that big turbo spooled up, the race was over. The guy with 9 sec mustang did not know what happened. Your buddies race should of been with a Evo on a dirt track

Send him my way. I would humble him.

Wait.......I drive like crap and I don't street race. I'll have to call my driver, Brian C.

So low 9 sec power (8's in a 3400lb g body) kills a high 10 sec GN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send him my way. I would humble him.

Wait.......I drive like crap and I don't street race. I'll have to call my driver, Brian C.
You'd need at least a 150mph car to have a shot at that mustang in a roll race where the mustang is much more slippery punching a hole the air.

You'd need at least a 150mph car to have a shot at that mustang in a roll race where the mustang is much more slippery punching a hole the air.

Who says I don't have a 150mph car? Oh, your looking at my signature, aren't you? Yea....I have about 10 more pounds to play with on pump gas.

Who says I don't have a 150mph car? Oh, your looking at my signature, aren't you? Yea....I have about 10 more pounds to play with on pump gas.
I'm not saying anything about your car. I'm saying I've seen a couple Mustangs like the one mentioned and they were over 1000whp and were running 150ish in the quarter and accelerated from 70-130mph in under 3 seconds. Run high octane race fuel and throw 20lbs more at it. Fwiw I can't see any signatures in tapatalk

I'm not saying anything about your car. I'm saying I've seen a couple Mustangs like the one mentioned and they were over 1000whp and were running 150ish in the quarter and accelerated from 70-130mph in under 3 seconds. Run high octane race fuel and throw 20lbs more at it. Fwiw I can't see any signatures in tapatalk

20lbs and race fuel? Good Idea.:woot:

But I doubt there is a track in the US that wouldn't through me out on my ass!;)

good story. well, an 800 hp car shud walk a 500 hp car. I'm sure it was a low 9 second car if not better depending on suspension or at least 8 second mph.

sad thing is he probably has HALF the money into that as ur buddy does into his BUT.... how many ppl give the dime a dozen Mustang the thumbs up every time he goes out for a cruise? ill bet almost NEVER!:D
Brett,
I only half agree with you. It could cost about the same to build a 9/8 second mustang. It all depends on a lot of things. I know I also could have built my car for half the money. And for sure that would have put it in the price range of a low 9 second mustang. I know some guys with 11 second mustangs that spent more! Of course, you need to factor in all the carnage of f'n up there combinations and tunes along the way. I know you know.......This hobby ain't cheap for any of us.

However, plain and simple. A mustang is just another disposable car that no one notices. When I drive my Buick........I am elevated to ROCK STAR status!:cool:

I wouldn't be too discouraged about it. There will always, always be somebody faster than you. 2000 Mustangs are a dime a dozen, even if it had 1 million hp, oh well. Sure, there are more cars running 8's and 9's, but a car that runs 10's still goes like Hell. Plus they don't have the cool factor of a turbo Buick :cool:

A 2000 mustang, but it was a v6 car when he bought it. Everything has been transplanted. Not sure about the engine, for I know nothing about mustangs. It looked like the typical huge Cobra engine without a supercharger. What floors me is he's running a 3.08 rear gear, and it pulled hard in Drive like mine does in first gear.

Sounds like it is a late model mill these new Stangs are no joke. When your starting with 450hp before mods that is pretty hard to beat. Our cars, we start with maybe 300hp before mods. Technology is getting real hard to keep up with these days

Just look at the new NA V6's coming out with 300-340hp from the big three. Just a few mods to these and a stock to mild GN could get killed.

My son now has a 2010 Shelby GT500 with some mods and is about 600 rwhp. I might get him from a dig in a 1/8 but i don't know about the 1/4?