15" wheels & rear disc brakes

vader6

Turbo Buick enthusiast
Has anyone tried OE 15" GN wheels with a SSBC rear disc brake conversion. Will the OE 15s fit over the 11" rotors?

I have the SSBC rear brakes on mine. I've never tried the stock 15" wheels as I did the disc brake conversion at the same time I ordered the HRE 17" wheels. The tires are off the stock wheels now, but I do need to remove the 17" wheels to measure B.S. and post the results. I will try a stock GN wheel on there while I'm at it and let you know.

One thing I will say, plan on limiting the travel on the rear some how as I've broken the bleed screw nipples off a couple times with two people in the back seat as the bleed screws hit the frame on hard bumps.
This is with MOOG cargo coils at the stock height.
Hopefully they have changed things as I installed mine in 1992.

Last edited:
I will be able to get a stock GN wheel out of storage tomorrow and can try it next week sometime.
The SSBC kit I got didn't come with any E-brake stuff, I really should see if I can get just the E-brake stuff to make it complete.

vader6, YES, the stock 15" GN wheels DO FIT over the 11" rotors of the SSBC rear disc brake kit!!
They clear, but not by much. There is probably less than 3/16" clearance.
The wheel I tried had a factory weld blurb that only cleared by 1/16" or so.
Just for future replacement, they use '88 Super Coupe calipers and pads and the rotors are from an '86 Vette turned down from 12" to 11" dia. IIRC I found a machine shop that had a cnc mill to cross drill the rotors for $20 ea.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The broken bleed screw.
image.jpeg

Where it hits the frame. (Shiny spot)
image.jpeg

Last edited:
well, I tried...OE 15's clear the rotors but hit the calipers...I have 16" GNX wheels on for now...anyone else know of any other rear disc kit that definitely fits with OE 15" wheels? I see a kit from right stuff that looks like it uses a single piston caliper similar to the frt's?? I really don't want to go back to rear drums!! And I can't pony up for 17 " Budnik GN wheels.

BAER brakes makes a kit that works. No fitment issues. And it works with the ebrake.

well, I tried...OE 15's clear the rotors but hit the calipers...I have 16" GNX wheels on for now...anyone else know of any other rear disc kit that definitely fits with OE 15" wheels? I see a kit from right stuff that looks like it uses a single piston caliper similar to the frt's?? I really don't want to go back to rear drums!! And I can't pony up for 17 " Budnik GN wheels.

This surprises me.
When I bought my kit in '92 I was told '86 Stang SVO calipers and GTA rotors. It wasn't until I replaced the pads in '04 that I discovered that to be untrue.
I wonder what calipers they are using now.

98 s-10 2wd factory rear disc will clear 15x8 g body reproduction gn rims.11.6 rotors with allum calipers.

98 s-10 2wd factory rear disc will clear 15x8 g body reproduction gn rims.11.6 rotors with allum calipers.
so I need rotors and calipers from a 1998 S10, is there a special caliper bracket for this setup, where do I get that from?