1984 3.8l Turbo rebuild question

jns

Actually, this is a re-rebuild since the last owner assembled it wrong. Luckily, it was never started since the crank was jammed solid in the main caps and couldn't be rotated with a three foot breaker bar.:eek: Nice. Anywho, I have some questions:
1.Are the three marks on top of the pistons directional? Which way are they supposed to point? Mine are every which way.(I did a search and know which way the rods point, though)

2.The rings are currently mounted with a dot facing down on the top one and the second ring has "top" stamped on it. Are these backwards?

3.The pistons are in the wrong cylinders because the numbered rod caps don't line up on the rods correctly. Any way to match them up to their correct rod caps or do they need to be remachined to fit?

Thanks. More to come later.

This sucks.

i often wonder how stupid someone has to be before they realize they're stupid or don't know enough about something to be messing with it...sounds like whoever did this doesn't even need to be using a screwdriver...sorry to hear about you having deal with this, but if the engine has never been started chances are you can reuse most of the parts assuming they aren't damaged from improper assembly..

now USUALLY-if a piston a a dot on it that is to indicate it should point toward the front of the engine.
dots on rings should face up-i've never seen any different, however there might be some out there, but there are also other things to look for on ring orientation when they don't have dots

and holy **** somebody mixed up the caps & rods!!!

where u located?

I'm in Las Vegas. I'm hoping I won't find any more surprises but I have to assume that everything is questionable at this point. Buyer beware definitely applies here.