1st Chip...what to expect?

EFFNQWKWE4

Hi guys, I just ordered my 1st chip for my car. What irregularities or improvements should I expect to see with it? The chip is a Cotton's 28-93, for stock injectors and pump gas. My car has very minimal mods, only a K&N and an adjustable wastegate. I also ordered an adjustable FP regulator and a rail mount FP gauge. I have heard that I will need to install the regulator before I do the chip, because the chip will require a higher FP than the stock one. Is this true? If so, what FP should I start with as a baseline when tuning my car? What are you guys running with similar setups? I know I've got alot of questions, but this is my 1st TR and I want it to be RIGHT! Thanks for the advice, guys!;)

The first thing that I would do is go to gnttype.org and perform a good spring cleaning. You can find this in the tech area.

You will probably notice that you have better throttle response.
If you don't have a boost gauge, buy one NOW. Before you put the chip in.

Do you have a 160 t stat? You probably need one for the chip to work correctly with the fan settings, etc.

That's just for starters. You now own one of the most awesome cars ever made...ENJOY

Your also going to want to order a new fuel pump pronto if you don't already have one in there!!! Even with a new regulator and chip I bet the first time you step into it and start adjusting the boost its going to start popping on you because its lean. 15 yr old pumps and increased boost don't mix. My car did this exact thing, after the pump I was good to go. The usual recommendation is pump/reg/Tstat/K&N/adjWG/Scantool and tune from there.

I'd start with the FP in the 40-45 psi range.

HTH

Thanks guys! I have a boost gauge and an air/fuel gauge already hooked up. I have a 160 deg. thermostat with a new billet housing, but I haven't installed it yet. I'll order a new fuel pump asap! What do you recommend? I would like the car to be a low 12/ high 11 sec daily driver. From everything I've read, Walbro is the one to use, but the 307 or the 340? Thanks again for the advice!

I grabbed a 340 for mine, I figured the extra capacity is always better as you can always reduce fuel pressure. There's also a wirteup on the gnttype.org site to do it yourself hotwire to the FP as the factory ran solid copper wire to the pump from a not so hot voltage source so your missing somewhere around 1 to 1.5 volts at the pump now which is a good bit of capacity itself.

Before you start adding too much boost please work on getting a scan tool that will report knock retard. I have Direct Scan and like it a lot because of its speed you get plenty of data and for when the laptop's not in the car I have a pilar mounted knock gauge from Caspers so I know when to take my foot out of it if I get a bad batch of gas or something when I'm running close to the edge.
HTH

Absolutely! Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting a scanmaster 2 for X-mas. Maybe I can talk the wife into buying it early. I'm about halfway done with the spring cleaning list from gnttype. I printed that list out before I even bought the car! Once again, thanks for the advice and I'll keep everybody posted on the results!:D