2004 cobra

Im tired of reading about the mustang cobra and how bad azz it is like i said earlier theres one here that is modded to sh!t and can only run low 12s

Now the guy was a good guy and wasnt snobby and respected my GN but his car kept breaking something in the axel

The cobra is and canbe fast without the valve covers off but if I raced a stock one it would be over before it started from any speed

can a cobra beat a GN yes can a GNbeat a cobra yes

and MARC87 IT APPREARS THAT YOU STILL COUGHT UP ON MUSTANGS WHY DONT YOU SELL YOUR GN AND GET A MUSTANG????

Johnny

I'm always going to be a Mustang fan, but I hate when ignorant people make comments about a car they gather information about from a few runs on the street or a few magazine articles. Some ETs are terrible because of drivers, but the trapspeed never lies about the muscle.

Believe me, I would have never sold my 99 GT, but sometimes there are more important things than owning a modified car like buying a house for your family that is about to increase by one.

Just to correct your statement, can a cobra beat a GN yes, can a MODIFIED GN beat a Cobra yes. I always loved comparisons of modified cars vs stock cars especially when it was to the advantage of the person in the modified vehicle.

I bought the GN because it is an awesome vehicle, but not to build it to race everything on the street. I would have chosen a different weapon for that task.

V8'sHAHA

Maybe I shouldn't have said you were FOS because I wasn't there. Knowing what I know about these cars, they are monsters to the 1/8th but die after that which is evident by the 20-21 mph increase in the 2nd eigth. I was picking up 24-25 mph in the 2nd 1/8th and manuals usually picked up 26-27 mph.

If your race was about 30-100 mph, it's possible you beat him, but he was definitely starting catch up like the Viper in that post. Look at the mph on the Viper and it was definitely picking up 25+ mph in the 2nd 8th and you were probably going to pick up 20-21 mph which means he would have probably passed you before the 1/4.

Trap speed means alot on the street especially from a roll. To say "I'd say that 390 HP reading is weak" is what can lead to arguments.

Originally posted by badboy86gn2
Im tired of reading about the mustang cobra and how bad azz it is like i said earlier theres one here that is modded to sh!t and can only run low 12s

Now the guy was a good guy and wasnt snobby and respected my GN but his car kept breaking something in the axel

The cobra is and canbe fast without the valve covers off but if I raced a stock one it would be over before it started from any speed

can a cobra beat a GN yes can a GNbeat a cobra yes

and MARC87 IT APPREARS THAT YOU STILL COUGHT UP ON MUSTANGS WHY DONT YOU SELL YOUR GN AND GET A MUSTANG????

Johnny

Based on the mods in your sig I would hope you could beat a stock Cobra. :rolleyes:

BTW, if you own a GN does that mean you have to be ignorant or respectful of the capabilities of another car? The Cobra IS the modern equivalent of the GN (with the benefits of almost 20 years of advancement).

When the MM&FF article comes out with the results of their recent Cobra Shootout, you'll see exactly what street driven Cobras are capable of (even though the cars have only been out 2 years). The funny thing is there are so many others that are as fast or faster than those in this upcoming article that declined to participate because they didn't want to install all the required safety equipment in their car for the speeds they would run. :eek:

Obviously you can't expect too many people on a Buick site to rave about a Cobra, but it's nice to see there are some people (Marc87 and others) that don't have their eyes closed to reality.

I didn't see anybody disrespecting the GN, after all it's legendary. It always gets respect from those in the know automotively. I suspect the Cobra will be viewed the same way in the future.

well put guys marc you made the best choice in your situation and perhaps mustangs are the best street worriers:rolleyes::rolleyes: ;)

Gnxs. i would hope i could beat a stock cobra sh!t i can beat modded ones also:D :D

but can a stock gn beat one no a stock gn cant beat much now days only becuase everything keeps uping the horsepower but..... its amazing what racegas and boost can do

Johnny

everybody has there views inwhich i respect

Originally posted by ViciousV6
I would've written my own "having owned both" impressions, but gnxs pretty much summed it up! :D

I think you should anyway! ;) Maybe then, the bench racers might believe the facts.

You've had SERIOUS seat time in both (an '87 GN and an '03 Cobra) cars, both being stock and then with mods. You've spent time on the streets and at the track with BOTH cars. It wouldn't be a "My best friend's - girlfriend's - sister's - brother knows this guy" kind of story.

It's reality.

C'mon - tell us all what you know. :D (I already know how it ends.)

Truth be told, I'd love to own a new Cobra. But I just can't stomach the prospect of my insurance payment exceeding my car payment...

:D

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Truth be told, I'd love to own a new Cobra. But I just can't stomach the prospect of my insurance payment exceeding my car payment...

:D

The insurance quotes that some people have listed would make me revert back to horse'n'buggy! :eek:
Fortunately, I pay about $130/mo. for full coverage and a measly $100 deductable :D

Ok well this was more of a run in than a race at all. I caught a convertible Cobra coming up in the lane to the left of me, top down with his girl enjoying himself on a nice night. We exchanged glances and he drove by me so I kind of followed. I wanted to get up next to check out the car and give the thumbs up and exchange words. Eventually we caught a light and we both exchanged words about each others cars. Then it was down to business time.

At this point I had just gotten the PT 61 strapped on and was having some minor problems. For one I could not get boost above 17#. The other no spool till around 3200 rpm.

So lined up at the light and it hits green and I nailed it and as did he. He pulled ahead pretty nice with no problem, at that point it was to be a nice spanking which I was sure was going to happen. Then I caught a break. He missed on the shift to second pretty good and at the point that happened the turbo was just spooling. As he finally got into second I was on my way to making 17# and I took the lead pretty hard. After that you can imagine speeds climb pretty quick. I had about 2 cars on him but he was shortening the lead, although slowly, on me but we both let off at about the same time due to speeds. Next light we lined up again and had a laugh about the missed shift and waved/went seperate ways.

If he wouldn't have missed the shift it would have been game over for me. If I had 20# and a converter. I think we would have had a real good one. Long and short of it, those bastards are quick! And it's unlikely you will run into one unmodded. How much can a pulley change and full exhaust (Long tubes, high flow cats, catback)run anyway. Around 1800? Those simple things i'm sure would put 400 + to the wheels. Not bad at all! :cool:

I have a friend who sold his GN and bought and 04 Cobra. I was at the track with him two Saturdays ago with my T. He went 11.71 at 119mph without power shifting. He has some mods done. Exhaust, pulleys etc. He has an after market blower ready to replace the stock one. A car with the same combo as he will have went 10.70 with a race tune and race gas and alot more boost.

Needless to say they are fast cars and considering what you get not too bad for the price.

Originally posted by F8L WS6
... How much can a pulley change and full exhaust (Long tubes, high flow cats, catback)run anyway. Around 1800? Those simple things i'm sure would put 400 + to the wheels. Not bad at all! :cool:

Yeah, most guys with just filter and catback are making upwards of 400 at the wheels. Add a pulley and x-pipe and you're over 450 at the tire. That's over 450rwhp, and 460-490rwtq, for about $850 (including new belt and spark plugs), and on pump fuel. Long tubes don't add a lot of peak, maybe 10rwhp, but they can gain you as much as 30rwhp in the midrange. Hmmm, headers that don't add a lot of peak horsepower - that reminds of another car... oh yeah, the GN! Just another similarity ;) You can also hand-port the TB and plenum for another 5-10rwhp peak, and 10-30rwhp in the midrange!

Originally posted by turboman38
I have a friend who sold his GN and bought and 04 Cobra. I was at the track with him two Saturdays ago with my T. He went 11.71 at 119mph without power shifting. He has some mods done. Exhaust, pulleys etc. He has an after market blower ready to replace the stock one. A car with the same combo as he will have went 10.70 with a race tune and race gas and alot more boost.

Needless to say they are fast cars and considering what you get not too bad for the price.

A recent KB car went in the 9s w/out nitrous. The car does have a solid axle and automatic, though. The automatic cars are tearing up the strip, but I would never get rid of the 6-speed... it's too much fun! :D There is also a fella who just ran 11.36 on the stock pulley :eek: :eek: The car is setup for the strip, but it shows what the cars are capable of when setup for a specific purpose.

A KB car went 9's at last weekend's FFW race in Arizona. Car has a KB, cams, the stock T56, and a solid axle.