3800 parts on a 3.8L

Drac0nic

It ain't easy livin free
got a friend of mine with a 3.8L turbo motor that's a "before black" engine. since I have no inclanation to tamper with carbs I was wondering if I could leech it offa him if the intake and the heads would readily swap over from a 3800 engine, maybe even a SC engine. I can worry about/take care of the ECM stuff on my own, just this part of it that's a problem. What do I need to know about the dist system that the 3.8 uses versus the multicoil setup I think the 3800 uses as well? Any other major issues I should be aware of?

here is what i do know. i know the 97+ 3800 heads will bolt up to a 89 3800 but the intake will not, no matter which one you use. the 97+ heads have a different angle where the intake ports meet the head ports.

i don`t think the 3.8 and 3800 motor have any parts in common. but you can prove me wrong here. i will have more infor in about 6 months cause i an currently restoring my turbo regal.

you have alot of work ahead of you. good luck

I think the cooling system flows in the opposite direction on the 3800s. I have a completely rebuilt one and trans from a 87 la sabre if anyone is interested.

The 3800 Series II engine went into production in 1995, that year it was only offered as the naturally asperated version. Starting in 1996, all 3800's were Series II.

The Series II 3800 has a 1" shorter deck height compared to the Series I 3800 and 3.8L Buick V6. Furthermore, the Series II heads offer a symetrical port design which means earlier intake manifolds and cams would not work with them because of the even valve layout (IEIEIE). So even if you bolted a set of these heads on an earler 3800 or 3.8 (which I think you can), there is no production intake that would mate up to them. All 3800 (incl series II) engines had STANDARD FLOW cooling systems, just like the 3.8L. The Series II engines also had the following features:

-cross bolted powdered metal main bearing caps
-hydrualic roller cam
-roller rocker arms
-balance shaft
-crank driven oil pump mounted in timing cover

As for the 3800 Series I engines, here are the differences I know of:

88?-91 Vin C:
-hyd. roller cam
-balance shaft
-FWD bellhousing

91-95 Vin L:
-same as vin C but heads had a passage cast in them for internal PCV and crankcase vent provisions. This allowed these to be incorperated into the intake manifold without external lines.

Series I 3800 SC differences: According to my info, the crankshaft, heads, block, and pistons are the same part number between the Vin L N/A engine and Vin 1 SC engine. Only the connecting rods are different.

Series II 3800 SC differences: According to my info, the crank and block are the same p/n, but the rods and pistons are beefier. This would also mean the cranks are balanced differently. The cylinder heads are of the same casting number, however SC engines have injector bosses machined directly into the heads. The N/A heads have these bosses, but the holes are not machined.

From what I know of the 3.8L buick engine, you could use either 3800 vin C, vin L, or vin 1 heads on it along with the appropriate intake manifold. You can reverse the intake no problem. However, you must keep in mind the exhaust ports are different compared to 3.8L buick engines which means custom headers would need to be made.

If you want more info on the 3800 differences, check out my website using the URL in my sig.

Originally posted by jastrckl
No. You'd need an intake that was IEIEIE. The turbo buicks aren't.

Actually, the 92 3800 SC still had the same valve arrangement as the Turbo Buick 3.8's. However, the intake bolt pattern and exhaust bolt patterns are different. Only the 95-up Series II 3800 engine's had the IEIEIE valve arrangement.

Now, on a Series I 3800 engine you can use the naturally asperated intake manifold from another S1 3800 on those heads, even if they are SC heads. There is no difference between the vin 1 SC heads and vin L n/a heads on the series 1 engines. I believe you can even use the vin C 3800 intake (which looks like the turbo buick intake) on the vinL/1 heads but you will need to make sure you have a crankcase breather provision in your valve cover. (the vin L/1 3800 had the crankcase breather provision built into the intake/head castings).