3800 Series II in a 79 Malibu.

brento231

Hello. This is my first post. I am the proud owner of both an 87 GN and a 97 SSEi. But this post is about my project cars: a 96 3800 Camaro (smashed) and a 79 Chevy Malibu (reasonably solid). I'm looking at melding the two. Also, lurking in the garage is the SSEi's original motor (167K miles) removed because I didn't know that separating harmonic balancer sounds like rod noise. I am looking to turbocharge or supercharge the Camaro engine in the Malibu. On supercharging front- I'm thinking Ford (GASP!) Supercoupe 90ci Eaton or a Magnuson (112cu) so that I don't have to cut a hole through the firewall. Conversely. I've thought about a stock (or near stock) GN turbo and intercooler. I've tried to contact Cartuning about their up and coming 3800 turbo Camaro kit with no response. Has anybody done anything like this? Also, can anyone confirm that the RWD 3800 series II block is the same or different from the FWD. Thanks,

Brento231

Hello. This is my first post. I am the proud owner of both an 87 GN and a 97 SSEi. But this post is about my project cars: a 96 3800 Camaro (smashed) and a 79 Chevy Malibu (reasonably solid). I'm looking at melding the two. Also, lurking in the garage is the SSEi's original motor (167K miles) removed because I didn't know that separating harmonic balancer sounds like rod noise. I am looking to turbocharge or supercharge the Camaro engine in the Malibu. On supercharging front- I'm thinking Ford (GASP!) Supercoupe 90ci Eaton or a Magnuson (112cu) so that I don't have to cut a hole through the firewall. Conversely. I've thought about a stock (or near stock) GN turbo and intercooler. I've tried to contact Cartuning about their up and coming 3800 turbo Camaro kit with no response. Has anybody done anything like this? Also, can anyone confirm that the RWD 3800 series II block is the same or different from the FWD. Thanks,

Brento231

series 2& 3 blocks are all the same , fwd, rwd, na,sc

you can modify the m90 and make a 90* inlet to save cutting the firewall , or you can source an m90 from australia out of a rwd 3800 sc car

yes people have done something like that and considering the 3800 s2&3 short block have ben run down to 9.0 sec et in stock - never disassembled form you will probably see more people going this way

here is a link with a series 2 swapped in a grand national:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/257876-series-ii-l67-grand-national.html

here is a link to one in a 1985 cutlass both link done by the same guy and he is a member here ( Dave Norris aka trannyman95):

Customer Cars

another member on here (Brad Ziegler) used a modified inlet on an m90 sc in a rwd application on page 2 here:

trying to finish by Power Tour - Page 2 - Minnesota F-Body Club

I hope to do a similar swap to a rwd car someday

probably the most straight forward way would be to put your f body drivetrain in the malibu as is dial it in then turbo/ic it