4" intake piping???

karolko

Hello to everyone,

i was wondering what you guys are running for 4" intake piping for you turbos.

i originally bought a full throttle intkae pipe, but now i have gone the XFI route, so i do not need the bung for the maf.

has anyone fabbed up their own, if so where do you get 4" aluminum radius bends. or do people just buy a pre fabbed one from a vendor, (which one becasue i cannot find them)

Photos would be great.

thanks

This is where most people get their kits from.

MAF/INLET Pipes

4" INLET Pipes

I currently run the 4" kit on my car. Good stuff and I do recommend TR Custom Parts.

7-22-07306.jpg

For cars without MAF sensor, (FAST XFI, BS3 DFI etc etc.) this is the setup you would want.

Picture_265_2.jpg

HTH

Patrick

Another source is RJC. Jason and company make a real nice 4in polished aluminum pipe, this too is for guys not running the MAF anymore like myself. The fit and finish is excellent.

Hey guys,

have any of you ever tested the pressure difference when you run a air filter inside the car, and when you have the cold air kit behind the headlight.

i read another post in regards to suction pressure, and i am wondering if adding the 90* elbow and extra length to the 4" will increase the vacume pre turbo side.

any experience with that?

thanks alot for the photos.

I know what you're getting at, but honestly, I don't believe anyone has ever done that much testing / homework with our specific application. In the Turbo Buick community, testing has always been done pretty much by seat of the pants, at a dyno or at the track. (hp vs mph differences before and after type testing)

I can tell you from personal experience, that moving the air filter down low helps to significantly lower inlet air temps vs pulling in hot underhood air coming from the radiator and fan, with the cone filter attached to the MAF pipe. I have run both setups. 3" MAF with filter attached to the MAF sensor, 3" MAF pipe with filter down low, 4" filter attached directly to the inlet pipe and now 4" setup with filter down low. I can tell a difference in spool up as well as inlet charge temps with the 4" setup. And some will say that it does nothing going with the 4" stuff and running a stock MAF, but I beg to differ. I have seen gains going from 3" to 4" and still running the stock MAF. Even with only running one screen in the MAF. Some may say it's over kill, but I like the 4" piping on cars that run 11.50 and faster. But that's just me.

Patrick

ruqwknf, in my old setup i had the filter down low, and a 4" that went into a 3" maf, and then back into a 4" turbo intake.

i agree with you 100% that keeping the filter outside will help lower air temps, but i guess now it is a question of weather having lower air temp or lower vacume pressure pre turbo side will yield more power. i am leaning towards the cold air side. 4" pipe, crap that is huge.

if i were to set up a test, how could i go about doing it. where would i setup the vacume gauge? directly infront of the turbo? and could i run this test at idle?

Depends on application, 3" & 4" = Street/Strip. Strip = 5"

Food for the thought...There's definte gains to be had from cooler/bigger intakes & it's incoming air...take a look @ these TSM topdogs (all mid to low 9s cars) & tell me what u see...;)

100_0368.jpg

100_0371.jpg

Photo0054-1.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

5" intakes ?????? :confused: :eek:

yuppers large, very large! My appilcation is Street/strip, so i am sure that the 4" will suit me just fine. that and in turbo inlet is only 4" so what would be the point of a 5" inlet anyways.

With the comment above, is this making referenc to the latent heat of vaporization or something??? if so what is that magic number.