# 4 plug..coolant ?

Trbobuick said:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/apeng....photos.yahoo.com/ph/apengineering2/my_photos

Or cracked champion heads? Doesnt smoke, c-16 gas. 21`-22 deg of timing, a/f never went above 11.7. No coolant in oil, no milkshake, no oil in coolant. Doesnt use coolant or oil. Im stumped ?

It doesn't take much coolant to do this, so you might not see any consumption. Is this a race only deal or street car??

The heads should be Zygloed to check for cracks or pressure tested via the coolant ports. The block would have to be magged by someone that is really good at it. Sometimes we've wreaked havoc trying to find miniscule cracks in blocks or heads. Or course... the other thing could be your head gasket seeping just enough to get into that chamber. Have you torn the motor apart yet??

Many cars we've worked on that use Dex-Cool end up eating the head gaskets or even the heads away around the coolant ports. Sometimes we'd get one that didn't use any signifigant amounts of coolant, no water in oil or visa versa, would pass a block check (colored dye fluid) and a hydrocarbon check in the radiator. But if we let the car sit for a couple of day and then start it, it would have a cylinder miss for about 1 minute and then go away. That was because it took that long for the enough coolant to get into the chamber and cause a misfire. Once the motor ran for a little while, slight misfire was gone. Ended up being a head gaskets and erroded head at the coolant ports.

Im running green coolant....Dex cool wont go near my motor. Havent tore the motor down yet. Still have to pressure test it first.

Brian, I would pressurize the cooling system and check for coolant in that cylinder. Leave it on for a while.

I'd bet a crack in the chamber around the spark plug hole being those are not the R heads and have been pushed a bit.

I also found a leak in my head gasket when changing valve springs when I had the cylinder pumped full of air. Maybe you can try that too. Put your coolant pressure guage on the cooling system and put some air to the cylinder and you may see the pressure in the system rise.

Ted A. said:
Brian, I would pressurize the cooling system and check for coolant in that cylinder. Leave it on for a while.

I'd bet a crack in the chamber around the spark plug hole being those are not the R heads and have been pushed a bit.

I also found a leak in my head gasket when changing valve springs when I had the cylinder pumped full of air. Maybe you can try that too. Put your coolant pressure guage on the cooling system and put some air to the cylinder and you may see the pressure in the system rise.

A lot of times... if you just keep the radiator full...... just take the cap off and remove the rockers and then pump the cylinder with 175lbs of shop air. You'll then see bubbles coming out of the radiator. Sometimes we've had cars that will shoot coolant out the radiator as soon as the air was applied.

Good idea's with the air in the cylinder and leaving the pressure tester sit on the car for a while.