40k mile virgin engine, 20 years dormant

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
I'll try to keep this down to relevant info only.

Car was driven 42k miles in the first 2 years of it's life, got totalled, engine went into a regal body, went to body shop for paint, never got finished. Guy I bought it from said he had it 12 years in climate controlled storage (bare metal on body), turned it over a few times but never heard it run. I'm yanking the motor to go into a hybrid project, likely a very heavy station wagon. Engine will be on a stand for a year or two regardless of what has to be done to it. Currently bone stock, down to the original plug wires, air filter, nonadjustable wastegate and the oil spewing passenger valve cover breather setup. :eek:

Question is, what do I do to it? I'm thinking a minimum of a timing chain, valve springs, rear main seal, and associated gaskets to get to them. Should I pull a bearing cap or two and look at the bearings? I have access to a high dollar borescope, but I'm thinknig I want to pull the heads anyway and do some head work to it. This will be a low boost 91/92 octane motor, probably won't even get an alcohol kit, at least not right away. The internet gods seem to say that porting the bowl area makes for huge gains on octane limited applications. It WILL get the typical bolt ons: 3" downpipe and good exhaust, good fuel pump/regulator, probably mimic or swipe/upgrade the 60lb mototrons and translator plus setup that's on the GN. But things like a 9" converter, front mount, etc. won't happen on this car. It will be a street cruiser, but I'm not swapping this all over to have a turd. I want the most I can get out of it on pump gas and a reasonable budget. If it needs it I will buy it, but I'm not trying to waste money. I'm thinking if everything else looks like it should, I'll bowl port the heads and reassemble. Is this the right approach? Is the stock cam good enough here? Is the stock turbo going to be out of breath at pump gas boost levels? Am I asking too many questions? I'm ASSuming it's gonna look good inside, I have not seen inside it, but from what I HAVE seen, it's a true story. The driver's header is not cracked :eek:

Any input appreciated
bob

I would do nothing with it but prime it and fire it up.

I'm with Bison on this one! Why mess with something that doesn't need messin' with.

Yeah you stupid homo. If it isn't leaking I wouldn't mess with it. If it was me though I would do valve springs but that's just me. Since you plan on pulling around some weight I would just use the stock turbo and stall. If you do swap out the cam I wouldn't go too big. You'll wanna keep the duration tight since a wagon has to be close to 4k or more.

....thoughts from a guy that doesn't even have one of these cars......got a lot of parts though

Not gonna argue here but the fact that the engine has been sitting this long, and I know how moisture can go into places you don't expect, I'd tear it down just to make sure the cylinders don't have rust in them. A few gaskets aren't that expensive and it will add to peace of mind.:)

Yeah you stupid homo. If it isn't leaking I wouldn't mess with it. If it was me though I would do valve springs but that's just me. Since you plan on pulling around some weight I would just use the stock turbo and stall. If you do swap out the cam I wouldn't go too big. You'll wanna keep the duration tight since a wagon has to be close to 4k or more.

....thoughts from a guy that doesn't even have one of these cars......got a lot of parts though

4k my ass. My gn is 3940 with me in it, full size estate wagon is gonna be north of 5k, then, if I find 8 friends, we are all gonna pile in it for the power tour. Me needs torque!

If you guys think it needs nothing, I'll run it, but I'm gonna be pissed when that rear main pours oil LOL

I bet none of you can leave it sit on a stand for more than a year and not touch it :)

well you got me on that one. I would probably do the rear main, pull the front cover and at least do a stock replacement chain, get rid of that crap rope seal and do valve springs. I wouldn't tear the whole thing down. You should be able to tell a lot just by doing these items. Get some right stuff for the rear main!

i agree with usetoboost in post #7, i bought a car that sat for around 10 years and the rear main leaked a quart of oil every 30 miles.i ran it this way for a weekend and did my 1st ever rear main seal and timing chain per bisons instructions and it never leaked a drop since. timing chain is another weak spot and it sucks leaning over a car or getting oil dripped in your face. valve springs are another thing we all know is a problem so spend the $40 and do them since once again it sucks to lean over the fender. might as well do the valve covers because those always leak too. sell or trade the original wires for a HP set let somebody doing a resto have them probably worth $100. kirban i believe also buys original wires but dont remember what he pays