81 Buick Regal Non-SFI To Clone GN 3.8 Turbo

81 Regal Man

Hi, all.

I am the new guy. A friend from G-Body Forums sent me here. I am trying to figure out which setup would be best and which route I should take in terms of getting this Carbureted 3.8 Non-turbo V6 into a turbo state. My rwhp goal is around 300-350. I am just curious as to which kind of turbo, intercooler, piping size, internals, and externals I should use. All help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone wants specs on the engine like milage, is has just over 70k original miles on it. Thanks for any help in advance.

-Terence.

In all honesty you'll need to do some different thinking here. The least expensive wasy is the draw through system that was on the cars from 78 to 83. Least amount of work and wiring to do but not as much power. The next choice is HA SFI. It is fuel injected but has no intercooler on it. More power than a C/T system but a lot of wiring and adaptation. Third choice is the SFI IC set up. Most power but same issues as a HASFI system. This isn't an easy job for any of it but do a little looking around and reading before you decide to do anything else. It will require a lot more work on your part to go with one of the injected versions and the money you'll spend will be as much as buying one that was made that way originally.

In all honesty you'll need to do some different thinking here. The least expensive wasy is the draw through system that was on the cars from 78 to 83. Least amount of work and wiring to do but not as much power. The next choice is HA SFI. It is fuel injected but has no intercooler on it. More power than a C/T system but a lot of wiring and adaptation. Third choice is the SFI IC set up. Most power but same issues as a HASFI system. This isn't an easy job for any of it but do a little looking around and reading before you decide to do anything else. It will require a lot more work on your part to go with one of the injected versions and the money you'll spend will be as much as buying one that was made that way originally.

Ok. Thank you for the help. I am by no means gonna just rush into this. There is still, like you said, alot more research, etc, to be done before I start this. Could make good power just by re-building this engine with performance internals, etc, and slapping a T3/T4 turbocharger kit on it? Just curious. I am trying to find the cheapest way to make GN power, but at a high efficiency and great reliability. I want to make GN power because I am cloning my Regal into a 87 GN in terms of exterior. The interior parts will come later. Thoughts?

I hate to say it but the cheapest way to make power is go with a V8. An LS motor is really cheap right now in the junk yards and you can get an intake and spark controler for about $600. All you need then is a Holley carb (throw the ebrock away) and you can get 300+ HP out of it. It's not a turbo motor but it will give you what you're looking for as far as power and still give you some decent gas mileage.:)

I hate to say it but the cheapest way to make power is go with a V8. An LS motor is really cheap right now in the junk yards and you can get an intake and spark controler for about $600. All you need then is a Holley carb (throw the ebrock away) and you can get 300+ HP out of it. It's not a turbo motor but it will give you what you're looking for as far as power and still give you some decent gas mileage.:)

Thanks, Charlie. I appreciate the input and I will definitely have to look into that. There are around 5-6 different junkyards close-by, so I will be looking. Thanks, man and Happy New Year, everyone. From Northeastern Virginia.

-Terence.

Thanks, Charlie. I appreciate the input and I will definitely have to look into that. There are around 5-6 different junkyards close-by, so I will be looking. Thanks, man and Happy New Year, everyone. From Northeastern Virginia.

-Terence.

I believe you're near Adam (Warwagon) so he should be able to help you some. Send him a PM and maybe the 2 of you can get together for some info swapping.:)

this.. i've priced out 5.3's with under 100,000 miles on them for $400.. add a carb intake and ignition controller for another $600 and another $500 for miscellaneous stuff, and your goal is pretty close to met for $1500 and some fabrication time for things like motor mounts and exhaust. not that there is anything wrong with wanting a turbo V6, but it's gonna be easier and cheaper to make the same power with more cylinders and more displacement.