81 Regal build-Turbo 5.3/4l80e **9.94@138.5mph

This weekend, I made it to Byron dragway to test out the new converter and 2 step. I ended up with a new personal best of 10.91 at 125 mph, however, I think the converter is slipping too much. With 3.25 gears and a 28" tire, the trap rpm is about 5950 at 125 mph. Still running the stock 5.3 cam so the rev limiter is set to 6000 rpm.

I think the converter is slipping too much. With 3.25 gears and a 28" tire, the trap rpm is about 5950 at 125 mph

My calc shows 18%+ slip.
Here's what I use: http://www.wallaceracing.com/converter-slip.php
That could well be an issue. Looking at the rpm trace, it shows a low rpm drop on the 2/3. 3/4 shift. Have you done any tuning on the trans segment? I'd talk to Dusty about the verter.
I'd agree, that engine is in need of more cam/springs, run it to 65/7000.
Here's what Mark @ Bullet ground for my engine. 346", Livernois cnc/317's, victor Jr, truck manifolds, B/W S400SX3.
@ .050 I/226, e/225
lobes at 115*
Events: I 3/43, E 52.5/-7.5
Lift .600/.600
Degree the intake to 110*

My calc shows 18%+ slip.
Here's what I use: http://www.wallaceracing.com/converter-slip.php
That could well be an issue. Looking at the rpm trace, it shows a low rpm drop on the 2/3. 3/4 shift. Have you done any tuning on the trans segment? I'd talk to Dusty about the verter.
I'd agree, that engine is in need of more cam/springs, run it to 65/7000.
Here's what Mark @ Bullet ground for my engine. 346", Livernois cnc/317's, victor Jr, truck manifolds, B/W S400SX3.
@ .050 I/226, e/225
lobes at 115*
Events: I 3/43, E 52.5/-7.5
Lift .600/.600
Degree the intake to 110*

Thanks for chiming in Chuck.

From what I've read, that is too much slip. Ideally, the slip percentage should be around 8-10? I'll have to get a hold of circle d and maybe have them restall it. Beforehand though, I should make another pass with the converter locked to verify that its the converter slipping and not the trans. Also, I have not done any trans tuning since the converter was installed. I did look through the tune and log files from the pass and found some discrepancies which might have caused the trans to shift late and hit the limiter.

I'm really considering this cheap trickflow cam. It will work fine with my existing PAC 1518 springs and its already proven to make power on a turbo car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-30602001

I would talk to Cam Motion, BTR, or someone that can match a cam to your intentions and setup, but JMO. Once you have a cam in there and figure out your slippage issue, I would be curious to see what it would do with 26" tall tires with that 3.25 gear....

New parts arrived for the Buick..

Trickflow 216/220 cam
ATI Super Damper with A/C pulley
LS2 timing chain
LS2 timing chain dampener with trickflow bracket
160 thermostat

Also, it was time to finish up the A/C install.

My original oil drain just barely sneeks in under the compressor. This was a relief and saved alot of effort.

I used the stock hard liquid line from a cutlass with an adapter for the pressure transducer and crimped the other two lines with a mastercool manual crimper (worked great!). The compressor needed adapter fittings, which I bought off ebay and the rest of the fittings were from coldhose.com

Cam and A/C install all buttoned up.

This is such an awesome build, and has inspired me to get started on my Malibu that I just bough. I recently wrecked my 8sec,1/4 mile, 5.3 turbo Porsche 944. In short the drivetrain will be swapped into the Malibu once I get all the conversion parts in hand. I also just talked to Kyle at KB racing, and he is building me the exact same log turbo header you are using. It cost a little more, but I'm sure it's worth it in the long run. It's going to be nice getting back into a G-Body! Hope you converter issue get sorted out, there's a lot more in your combo.

Ray

Can you use one of the venders hot wire kits to plug into the fuel pumps or are you using a custom harness?

With the Gbodys being so popular I think that someone should make drop-in tanks like this.

I would really like to run twin 430 pumps.

Really nice build btw.

This is such an awesome build, and has inspired me to get started on my Malibu that I just bough. I recently wrecked my 8sec,1/4 mile, 5.3 turbo Porsche 944. In short the drivetrain will be swapped into the Malibu once I get all the conversion parts in hand. I also just talked to Kyle at KB racing, and he is building me the exact same log turbo header you are using. It cost a little more, but I'm sure it's worth it in the long run. It's going to be nice getting back into a G-Body! Hope you converter issue get sorted out, there's a lot more in your combo.

Ray

Sorry to hear about your wreck! At least you can salvage the drivetrain. It ought to make that malibu move out.

You won't regret going with Kyle's manifold. By the time you add up the cost of the materials and labor, his price is quite reasonable.

I'm hoping to make it to a track this weekend to make some passes with the new cam and more boost. The converter will probably have to be locked up at the top end. I was thinking of having it lock at 110mph. Then, I can send it in for a re-stall and in while im waiting, the rollbar is getting welded in hopefully.

Can you use one of the venders hot wire kits to plug into the fuel pumps or are you using a custom harness?

With the Gbodys being so popular I think that someone should make drop-in tanks like this.

I would really like to run twin 430 pumps.

Really nice build btw.
I bet that would work just fine. You'd have to wire in a means of activating the second hotwire's fuel pump relay though. You could split off the original fuel pump trigger from the chassis plug for both relays and wire in a hobbs switch to give a ground to the second pump's relay.

For mine, I built my own harness. Under the hood is a bussman fuse/relay block where two 10 gauge gxl wires run to the tank.

Last edited:
Track update:
This weekend I made the 200 mile round trip to Great Lakes Dragaway with the Buick to make some passes. This is after the road trip to Byron on Saturday that was a bust when the track would not open for weather. So 500+ miles on the car this weekend.

Anyways, the weather on Sunday was great in Union Grove, WI and the car was able to make a couple passes. I made 2 turns on the manual boost controller to increase the boost from 12 psi. It turns out, two turns equates to 20 psi of boost haha. That was a complete surprise as the plan was around 17-18psi. Air/Fuel was also pig rich at 10:1 and timing was at 14 degrees. On the first pass, my goal of 10.5 at 130+ was easily met but I still needed to make another pass to log it with hptuners. Apparently, the magnetic mount that holds the tablet to the dash could not handle the extra boost and as soon as the car launched it flew off the dash and into the back seat, unplugging itself at 18mph.

This cheap TrickFlow cam made a hell of a difference! As far as the converter goes, it's still slipping about 16% at the traps. I can still get the free re-stall from Circle D so Ill send that back while i'm welding in the roll bar.

Great build, really appreciate you sharing the details. Are kb racing and one guys garage familiar enough with the parts they fabbed for you that we could call and have some made? Thanks.

Great build, really appreciate you sharing the details. Are kb racing and one guys garage familiar enough with the parts they fabbed for you that we could call and have some made? Thanks.

Thanks Drew

You would have to contact both guys. I know KB racing makes a log for cars but I think that one is different then what I had him make. The turbo flange on mine looks a few inches forward than his standard log. I have pics with measurements somewhere if anyone happens to need them. One Guys Garage custom made the downpipe, crossover and coldside tubing. I thought Nate mentioned having a mock-up g-body at his place though. If thats the case, he might be able to build a complete kit (including the log) and ship it.

Thanks man. Kyle emailed me today saying he shipped out the log manifold for my Malibu. I'm stoked to get started on the swap in the next couple weeks. Hopefully I will have time for the swap, as my kids football practices are starting up too. Two different football teams, lots of shuffling will be going on. But it will get done, I need my street car! lol But yeah, the Malibu should move out pretty dang good. I know it will have a lot more traction then the Porsche did. So, we'll see in due time.

BTW- Awesome times on your first time out. 137mph is no joke! Way cool driving it to the track, then driving home. It's amazing how tough and reliable the LS engines are! I'm sure there more in your combo too.

Good luck and hope to see more update with your car. It's a very cool ride!

Ray

Sorry to hear about your wreck! At least you can salvage the drivetrain. It ought to make that malibu move out.

You won't regret going with Kyle's manifold. By the time you add up the cost of the materials and labor, his price is quite reasonable.

I'm hoping to make it to a track this weekend to make some passes with the new cam and more boost. The converter will probably have to be locked up at the top end. I was thinking of having it lock at 110mph. Then, I can send it in for a re-stall and in while im waiting, the rollbar is getting welded in hopefully.

Thanks man. Kyle emailed me today saying he shipped out the log manifold for my Malibu. I'm stoked to get started on the swap in the next couple weeks. Hopefully I will have time for the swap, as my kids football practices are starting up too. Two different football teams, lots of shuffling will be going on. But it will get done, I need my street car! lol But yeah, the Malibu should move out pretty dang good. I know it will have a lot more traction then the Porsche did. So, we'll see in due time.

BTW- Awesome times on your first time out. 137mph is no joke! Way cool driving it to the track, then driving home. It's amazing how tough and reliable the LS engines are! I'm sure there more in your combo too.

Good luck and hope to see more update with your car. It's a very cool ride!

Ray

Nice! I'd like to hear more about the build as you make progress.

Thanks. I was shocked when I seen the 137 mph trap speed. The car had more boost in it than I was shooting for but it worked out. haha. At this point, I'm nervous to throw more boost at the 5.3. It still has the stock gen 3 rods and supposedly I'm very near the limits before they bend. Regardless, a 9 second pass would be nice to see. All I need to do is launch on more boost and I'm there with the current tuneup.