#82 has white smoke from exhaust

Vettvet

Have had this car a couple of years and have not been able to drive it. Had fuel pump issues, transmission leaks and exhaust problems plus, I had no time for any of the above.
Had fuel tank replaced, electric fuel pump removed and stock pump installed back into tank as well repair of chopped up fuel lines to facilitate the electric pump. Transmission issue was front seal and exhaust has bee replaced with new system from Kirbin.
Picked the car up today and it is awesome? New tires and a beautiful day.
At traffic light I noticed white smoke coming from exhaust. Went away under acceleration came back when decelerating. Got to my garage and left it idling and it was coming out steadily.
Oil pressure is 20 at idle, 60-70 while driving. Water temp. is 160-170
When I purchased this car it was not smoking. Is this something common with these cars after sitting for awhile? I know there is oil residue on the exhaust and mufflers but....
Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks

Picked up the car today ? from a shop working on it ?Someone take it out for a test ride , over boost , blow head gasket ?

Picked up the car today ? from a shop working on it ?Someone take it out for a test ride , over boost , blow head gasket ?
Yikes! I hope not. Smells like oil though, not coolant. They did replace the heater core though.

One and only...Why The F**K would the stock pump go back in???...With known issues?!!??. Just doesn't make sense....Mike

Do you know the people you left the car with?

Did you check mileage before and after?

You just can't trust anyone.

I had a friend with a GN back in 88 that brought it to the Buick dealership for some warranty work or something.

We'll wouldn't you know know it another fiend runs in to us and says "dude, I saw you blasting around route 240 yesterday. Man you were beating the shit out of your car. It looked good, thing flies"

He went into the dealership like a rabid dog and all they did was kept denying it.

You just can't take you eyes off of these cars man.

D

I had a friend with a GN back in 88 that brought it to the Buick dealership for some warranty work or something.

We'll wouldn't you know know it another fiend runs in to us and says "dude, I saw you blasting around route 240 yesterday. Man you were beating the shit out of your car. It looked good, thing flies"

He went into the dealership like a rabid dog and all they did was kept denying it.

D
Yeah, they are reputable but....
Stock pump went back because I am concerned with originality than making it go faster I guess.
I own a 65, 427 Cobra when I want to do that

D
Yeah, they are reputable but....
Stock pump went back because I am concerned with originality than making it go faster I guess.

In your original post. Beginning of your second sentence, you say "had fuel pump issues"...

In your original post. Beginning of your second sentence, you say "had fuel pump issues". What kind of pump was it replaced with?

In your original post. Beginning of your second sentence, you say "had fuel pump issues"...
Original pump failed inside the tank and previous owner installed an electric pump with non fuel rated lines. It was a mess. Replaced the tank as it was dinged on the bottom and went with a stock pump.
This car has sat for 2 years. Hope this is just a temporary problem from excess oil somewhere.

What does that have to do with anything?

Now you’re just another douche on here.

Have fun with your smoking #82 GNX that’s marked for life.

D

As far as the fuel pump goes, they barely provide enough fuel. Some "stock" pumps by cheap manufacturers fail quick and don't put out enough pressure. If you have no way to monitor knock, it's very possible the headgaskets are leaking.

What does that have to do with anything?

Now you’re just another douche on here.

Have fun with your smoking #82 GNX that’s marked for life.

D
Wow. As with most emails, attempts at humor are most times misunderstood. Looks like it happened here.
I don't know you and you don't know me. You are out of line with your comments and they are unwarranted
Seriously, the only one that sounds like a douche is you.
As far as #82 being marked for life, so what? It has nothing to hide.
BTW, what number is your GNX?

As far as the fuel pump goes, they barely provide enough fuel. Some "stock" pumps by cheap manufacturers fail quick and don't put out enough pressure. If you have no way to monitor knock, it's very possible the headgaskets are leaking.

If you would read what he wrote, you and the other pin heads giving advice would keep your thoughts to yourself unless truly knowing what the problem could be after reading the symptoms posted by the OP.

Yikes! I hope not. Smells like oil though, not coolant. They did replace the heater core though.

He said it smelled like oil not antifreeze. I'm getting sick of reading posts where someone is asking for help and everyone beats up on the OP.

It just shows that small minded people are more content to bash or be ignorant when commenting on problems people are having.

Oil smell and white smoke = possible blown seal in the turbo among other possibilities not H/G's.

I know it's a possibility of HG but very small considering it is oil smoke. The give away is in his first post: At traffic light I noticed white smoke coming from exhaust. Went away under acceleration came back when decelerating. Got to my garage and left it idling and it was coming out steadily.

H/G would blow white smoke under acceleration as well in most cases.

No GNX expert here but I would check your downpipe for traces of oil. Possibly valve seals if it is dry. Headgaskets have been notoriously difficult for me to diagnose. Recently I've started using those chemical "Block tester" kits from autozone. So far its has been very succesful in diagnosis.

If you would read what he wrote, you and the other pin heads giving advice would keep your thoughts to yourself unless truly knowing what the problem could be after reading the symptoms posted by the OP.

He said it smelled like oil not antifreeze. I'm getting sick of reading posts where someone is asking for help and everyone beats up on the OP.

It just shows that small minded people are more content to bash or be ignorant when commenting on problems people are having.

Oil smell and white smoke = possible blown seal in the turbo among other possibilities not H/G's.

I know it's a possibility of HG but very small considering it is oil smoke. The give away is in his first post: At traffic light I noticed white smoke coming from exhaust. Went away under acceleration came back when decelerating. Got to my garage and left it idling and it was coming out steadily.

Well, I will speak for myself. In my statement, I did not attack the op. I pointed out the flaws I've personally seen with stock and cheap aftermarket fuel pumps. The op did not know what he has for a pump. It could even be the wrong size. A weak pump could easily cause a head gasket failure on a quick hard romp. I know b/c it happened to me. Luckily I knew my car well enough to know something was wrong. It drove ok but was down on power. I had minor white smoke occasionally. My issue started when the fuel pump cut out suddenly while at about 15psi and I ran on alky alone for about 5 seconds. With no scanmster, the op could have been experiencing knock and not know it. Do it a couple of times and things can happen. It's not a fact that we know his head gaskets are compromised but it's in the realm of possibilities. It's had pump issues in the past so it's possible they were already hurt and his quick blast finished the job. Oil smell can also be main seal, valve cover leaks on the crossover pipe which we all have experienced. The op needs to take his car to an experienced tb mechanic to diagnose the issue and preferably not the one he has been going too if he doesn't have the skills to diagnose and repair himself.

Well, I will speak for myself. In my statement, I did not attack the op. I pointed out the flaws I've personally seen with stock and cheap aftermarket fuel pumps. The op did not know what he has for a pump. It could even be the wrong size. A weak pump could easily cause a head gasket failure on a quick hard romp. I know b/c it happened to me. Luckily I knew my car well enough to know something was wrong. It drove ok but was down on power. I had minor white smoke occasionally. My issue started when the fuel pump cut out suddenly while at about 15psi and I ran on alky alone for about 5 seconds. With no scanmster, the op could have been experiencing knock and not know it. Do it a couple of times and things can happen. It's not a fact that we know his head gaskets are compromised but it's in the realm of possibilities. It's had pump issues in the past so it's possible they were already hurt and his quick blast finished the job. Oil smell can also be main seal, valve cover leaks on the crossover pipe which we all have experienced. The op needs to take his car to an experienced tb mechanic to diagnose the issue and preferably not the one he has been going too if he doesn't have the skills to diagnose and repair himself.
Thanks for your help guys. The shop that did the work is local and they do a lot on the GN's. The owner himself owns 2 GNX's and I hope I did the right thing.
I own a few 60's muscle cars, none of them turbo's and the GNX is the newest of all of them. What he said made sense to me as far as the fuel pump goes as didn't know any better.
Is it possible that his road test could have caused this? Honestly, I drove it back to my garage and never stepped on the gas other than normal driving. I really believed the smoke was excess oil in the new exhaust system burning off.
Started it today and no smoke until it got up to temp. at idle (170) and then it started.
Sorry if I pissed anyone off mentioning the Cobra but, it was just an attempt at humor.
Again, thanks for your help and any advise is welcome.
Jim