A/C System: TTA Specific?

Who Needs 8

I have a feeling my evaperator is leaking into the car :eek: I drove the car yesterday (I've been driving it too much lately) and noticed a faint smell, and then my throat starting feeling weird. I work for an A/C company, but I do computers, so I'm not too familar with the smell of R-12. But my boss said that my describtion sounds about right for a leaking evaperator.

So before I get into this project, what parts of our A/C system is TTA specific and what parts of it is regular F-body parts?

And considering it's regularly 106 this time a year for 2 months (Like it's going to be today), I'm not going to just take it out. Not that I drive the car daily, but I've gone two summers in high school and just out of high school with no A/C and I'm never doing it again.

Only TTA specific parts are the pressure lines to and from the compressor all the rest are standard parts. Not sure if the compressor is a F-body part or from some other GM vehicle.

the AC quit blowing cold in my TTA on sunday on the way home from Houston. :mad: this 106 degree heat is just stupid.

I haven't decided if I am going to try and find some r12 or convert to r134. I would like to find r12 if its not too expensive.

are you going to do the work yourself? i have almost decided to fix mine myself.

btw, I am in Carrollton almost every weekend and would be glad to help if you need a second set of hands.

R12

Sy1680 said:
the AC quit blowing cold in my TTA on sunday on the way home from Houston. :mad: this 106 degree heat is just stupid.

I haven't decided if I am going to try and find some r12 or convert to r134. I would like to find r12 if its not too expensive.

are you going to do the work yourself? i have almost decided to fix mine myself.

btw, I am in Carrollton almost every weekend and would be glad to help if you need a second set of hands.

You can find r-12 on ebay<but,you must sign a sheet that states you will be using it for resale only,THEN ??

It's expensive if you get caught,but,it's your call..

I've said this before but go to a local body shop. They will have R12. After wrecks they have to recharge the systems as they lose it when they collide.

Jason

I've been filling it up with Freeze-12 . . . it's a EPA Approved substitute that can be added with R-12 (Legally, they have to tell you to remove the R-12, but it can be mixed with it). Freeze-12 is colder than R-134a and it's 10% lighter than R-12, so you don't have to use as much. You can find some on Ebay, and some smaller parts places sell it (not the major Autozone, Pepboys type places). The great thing is that you do not need a permit to buy it, and it costs as much as R-12 used to back in the day.

Besides, the condensor for R-12 systems won't properally condense R-134a to make it as cold as systems designed for R-134a.