About to servce A/C and need help.

kirbdawg69

I hate my sceen name :(
So a while ago my A/C quit working and I found out I have a leak somewhere. I bought everything to do a conversion to 134a and sat on it for a while. I wasn't very excited to do the conversion as I remember being completely froze out of the car with R12 in it.

I found 5 cans of dupont R12 on Craigslist and went and bought them. I went to Harbor Crap and bought there manifold gauges and a vacuum pump. I plan on buying an "O" ring set, Dryer, Oriface tube (possibly the ford one), new oil for the compressor, and a leak test.

What I need help with: What else should I replace while the system is down? Do I need to replace my oil in the compressor? (73k miles on car). Do I still get the ford oriface tube if I plan on running R12? Last but not least do anyone have a good link on a how to charge the system before I do it so I dont miss something?

Thanks in advice I plan on doing this in about two weeks I'm just pre-staging everything and want to make sure I cover everything before I start.

Oh I forgot, this will be a learning XP for me. I have never servced an A/C system correctly (I dont consider using the quick charge cans of 134a correct, even though thats all I have done lol) So bear with me on my knowledge.

Ester oil is "supposed" to mix w/ R12 oil. It's reported that PAG oil will not.
In order to get it done correctly, I'd dump the compressor, and measure the correct amt back into it.
If you pull the orifice out, and it has alum flakes in it, or hunks of hose liner, it's time for a complete do over.
While at it, I'd do the higher efficiency condenser, too.

There's a recent thread on this topic....
Instructions?? Google is full of them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=4+Seasons+instructions+on+recharging+a+car+ac+unit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Need to find the leak and repair then run vacuum pump to evacuate and see if you have any leaks then charge up system

[QUOTE=".
If you pull the orifice out, and it has alum flakes in it, or hunks of hose liner, it's time for a complete do over.
[/QUOTE]

When I found the leak a months back I replaced the Orifice tube and it looked dam near new, had a couple of small pieces of what looked like dirt but other than that really clean. I plan on looking for the leak and leaving it over night with vacuum on it after I think I have fixed it. I'm just not sure if there are other parts I should be replacing while I do this. Higher efficiency condenser was not something I thought about before and will now look into it.

If you use the R12 your stock condenser will be fine , 134A would benefit for a larger condenser as you loose about 10 to 15 % with 134A , I am converting my car back to R12 as someone converted it to 134A , it is fine as long as the car is moving but lacks some when going slow in traffic in hot conditions .

Should I replace the acumulator even if it's not the source of the leak? Or am I digging too deep into things? Don't fix it if it isn't broke kind of thing?