Adding electric fan to hot air?

Wahoo

So I'm running an ghost radiator, just wondering should I still look for Sebring fans or are there other ones people recommend.

I have an 86/87 ECM, how do I wire the fans up so the computer can control them or is it done a different way?

Thx

I think you need to run a few wires to the appropriate pins on the ecm plug and wire relays. Might not be worth the hassle. I used a volvo relay and a dual speed sensor and it works like a charm. I have yet to kick it into high the low moves a pile of air.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If you wantvthe chip to control the fan:
ECM pin D2 is the low speed fan control. If you wire in a GOOD quality relay, pin D2 will ground the relay and turn the fan on as programmed.

I think you need to run a few wires to the appropriate pins on the ecm plug and wire relays. Might not be worth the hassle. I used a volvo relay and a dual speed sensor and it works like a charm. I have yet to kick it into high the low moves a pile of air.

Thanks for the tip, what Volvo relay, can you give any more info?

I don't have the info in front of me but you can google syty.net volvo relay and you should find it

But I would listen the jerryl over anything I say. He knows way more than I'll ever dream of

I have the Mopar dual fans. I bought the wiring harness from caspers. It has dual relays, heavy gauge wires and the right connector for the fan. But also had to buy the 84/85 electric fan kit to let hot air harness contol the fan. Good stuff but expensive.

Why not use a temperature switch in the intake and have it trigger the relay? This is what I did on my hot air, when I had it.

Why not use a temperature switch in the intake and have it trigger the relay? This is what I did on my hot air, when I had it.
Sounds like a good plan! any tips? did you have to tap the intake for one or is there a hole already?

I think I did not use the idiot light spot, and turned it into the new switch spot. The sensor was the same thread size. It's as easy as wiring relays and using a dodge intrepid fan setup. This is what I did for my cutlass with the V8, and I think I used the caspers 84/85 wiring harness for fans and cut off the connector on my GN I cannot remember. It was quite easy in all honesty.

I have the 78-83 dash in my car so I had the factory temp gauge I wanted to retain so I tapped the boss on the top that's under the fuel regulator. If I could do it again I wouldn't have put the bulky bmw dual temp sensor there as it is tight to get the rail seated. I would have opened up one of the stock holes for the bmw switch and a factory sensor up top. I used a ic/442 top plate and some aluminum to mount it. I used a trunk water strip to insulate the shroud from the rad to avoid rubbing through.

How do you know what temperature the switch is turning the relay on at? And what power is it sending?

No measurable amount in my opinion. A clutch fan uses very little power when it isn't engaged. Im sure someone smarter than me has some exact figures. I think most people do it to improve cooling (stop and go traffic) and declutter the engine bay. Someone posted a while ago that the clutch fan is beneficial to our cars because it keeps constant air movement in our very hot engine compartment.

How do you know what temperature the switch is turning the relay on at? And what power is it sending?
I watch my temp gauge. I haven't got it hot enough to engage the high switch yet. These intrepid fans are great units.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

No measurable amount in my opinion. A clutch fan uses very little power when it isn't engaged. Im sure someone smarter than me has some exact figures. I think most people do it to improve cooling (stop and go traffic) and declutter the engine bay. Someone posted a while ago that the clutch fan is beneficial to our cars because it keeps constant air movement in our very hot engine compartment.
I have read about anywhere from 10-15 hp.
Agree though . . The HA needs all the cooling it can get so the constant fan makes a lot of sense in the summer, or anything above 45F ambient.

I have read about anywhere from 10-15 hp.
Agree though . . The HA needs all the cooling it can get so the constant fan makes a lot of sense in the summer, or anything above 45F ambient.
See told ya someone would have the figures.....i think on a good day that I dig real deep I might know small fraction of what jerryl does[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk