Aftermarket header pannel pros/cons

irockwithdirt

Ok, my header pannel is shot..........have been looking........ebay has the lightweight GN headers for $275, as inticing as they may be can't justify the expense. Also see aftermerket regal header pannels on there for $199 . I called my local body part supplier (St Louis auto pannel) and they have them for $139. I see people all the time selling them for $100 used (regal ones)...........scoured all the local junkyards but haven't been lucky enough to find a good used one yet. Any input? Thanks, Kevin

I bought a cheesy imported one to help fix up my car to be able to run 4 headlights again after the big crash in 1995.

It's made out of rice I think. :eek:

Nothing like the original in construction, fitment was tolerable .

Had to fill the hole in it too since my car is a WE4 with no hood emblem.

Other than all that it works fine. :D

Then again so did my smooshed one with 3 headlights. ;)

I bought one of those from Ebay. Its funny you posted this as I went to install it today. After spending 6 hours of drilling and filing holes for the 4 head lights (8 clips), cutting 2 3/4" holes for the marker light plug, drilling and filing 6 holes to retain the bumper fillers as well as drilling the holes for the 10mm bolts at the tops and sides it was just about done. I went to install the grille and realized that there is no way to mount it. They supply 3 cheesy aluminum brackets that would never fit. Especially considering they want you to rivet it to the upper portion of the header panel. It is so thin at the top that you can see day light through it when under the car. I called it quits after that.
I was VERY aggravated. :mad:
I think I am just going to look for a good oem unit from a yard and have the hood ornament professionally filled since the oems are the only ones that fit properly.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
I bought one of those from Ebay. Its funny you posted this as I went to install it today. After spending 6 hours of drilling and filing holes for the 4 head lights (8 clips), cutting 2 3/4" holes for the marker light plug, drilling and filing 6 holes to retain the bumper fillers as well as drilling the holes for the 10mm bolts at the tops and sides it was just about done. I went to install the grille and realized that there is no way to mount it. They supply 3 cheesy aluminum brackets that would never fit. Especially considering they want you to rivet it to the upper portion of the header panel. It is so thin at the top that you can see day light through it when under the car. I called it quits after that.
I was VERY aggravated. :mad:
I think I am just going to look for a good oem unit from a yard and have the hood ornament professionally filled since the oems are the only ones that fit properly.

Anyone else have any opinions good or bad on the aftermarket header panels? Lee how big of a deal is it to fill the hole on a standard Regal header panel? Can the hole be filled properly and not show? What's a fair price for a standard Regal header panel? Thanks.

Has any one purchased a replacement header panel from GBodyParts? They claim to have a very good replacement, about $350. A bit pricey over a used one, but I'm willing to pay if it's a good quality unit. Really need feedback before I order. Already made mistakes; don't want to repeat.

When I originally purchased my car it was equipped with a aftermarket hedder panel. The headlight bezels never did fit right and I could see two bumps in the middle of the hedder panel. These bumps are the punch outs for the Buick emblem. So when my car was repainted, the first piece I ordered was a factory unit. IMHO, you'll go through more headaches trying to fit a aftermarket unit.

How long ago did you buy a factory piece? I'm told it is no longer available. I would prefer an original GN unit if I could find one, new or used, that wasn't damaged.

Originally posted by puregn
How long ago did you buy a factory piece? I'm told it is no longer available. I would prefer an original GN unit if I could find one, new or used, that wasn't damaged.

About 4 or 5 years ago. I'm sure BWeavy has one, try emailing him.

Forget about it. Factory header panels are long gone. You will have to find one used. Most likely you will have to do as I decided to do and find a T-type panel, and have the ornament hole filled. Now if only UPS can get mine to me without breaking it into half a dozen pieces. ;) Try giving Mike McCoy a call and see what he can do for you. Good luck.

Thanks for info. I had purchased one from Mike and it did arrive in pieces thru UPS. Hope you have better luck.

I bought a set of bumpers thru UPS and one showed up dented/bent on the end.....takes a heck of a drop to bend a bumper......did get refunded thru insurance but from all I have heard I will only ship thru fedex if I can help it.

Thanks for info. I had purchased one from Mike and it did arrive in pieces thru UPS. Hope you have better luck.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh, you're the guy. Mike was telling me the story. Sorry to hear that. :(

Gbodyparts is now out of original GN header panels.I have the Danko aftermarket 1 on my car & like it but the grill mounting isn't correct.To make it fit tight you have to fiberglass a flange into both upper corners of the header panel.But it's light weight & tough. I sell regal filled ones for $200 in primer ready to paint & regular regal ones for $150 with good paint or ones that need paint & filling for $100.The problem is time you pay a body shop to fill & repair one then paint it your up another $125 to $175.
Shipping is a pita I lost one going to FL a few months back.But I've also shipped alot that made it.It all depends on who's shipping company & the kind of day the delivery man is having :eek:

Brian,

Called you Friday; missed your return call Saturday. Will be in contact next week. May have one here locally. Will know by Monday. If not, I'm interested in the filled, primered T-Type header.

puregn