Any full size van owners? Advice needed.

chadly

I’m thinking of getting a used 12 passenger van. I need something that can carry 8 people with luggage and pull my camper. I got nothing against Ford but my last four trucks have been purchased new from GM. I feel confident in the GM product but I’m finding more of the Fords for sale. Also the Fords are running the 5.4 and GM the 6.0. Most Fords are one ton and GM ¾ ton. Anyone have any real life experience with either of the Ford or GM? Gas mileage? Troubles? How many miles did yours have on it? Any information you feel that you could help me I would appreciate. Or even the 5.4 vs 6.0 for reliability and long life.

Thanks. Chad

My employer runs mostly 1 ton 2009-2013 ford vans with the 4.6 and 5.4. all the 5.4's in our vans are the two valves, not the 3 valves. We have roughly 80-100 out of our yard and we've lost 1 motor in the past 6-7 years and that was low oil. Some have had problems with oil consumption, most are headache free. We have replaced transmissions in probably a quarter of them, though our drivers tend to drive them places people wouldn't or shouldn't. So i don't know how much of that is because of abuse, or just being slightly subpar. Every van we own has gone through a set of ball joints, but same deal, lots of curb climbing. We keep ours to roughly 250,000km or 10 years. Generally they are rotting away from the salt brine they love to use up in canada, vs actually being completely worn out.
the twin i-beams are kinda hard on tires, but we rotate religiously and that does help a lot.

We have a much smaller fleet of chevy vans 1 ton vans 2010-2011 (maybe 8-12) and they have also been pretty headache free. They don't seem to eat front ends and are pretty easy on brakes. The interior looks nicer, but is definitely built cheaper. (once again commercial work vans so take with a grain of salt)

The Brand new ford transit 150's and 250's drive really nice, but seem to be visiting the dealer for warranty kinda a lot for new vehicles.

Thanks! That is a lot of transmissions replacements in the fords. I looked at the transit but they are very limited on the towing capacity. From your report it scares me a little on the ford. I read about ford having issues with coils, spark plug removal, and timing chain/belt. Cant remember if it was a belt or chain. Thanks a bunch I appreciate you time and input.

Thanks! That is a lot of transmissions replacements in the fords. I looked at the transit but they are very limited on the towing capacity. From your report it scares me a little on the ford. I read about ford having issues with coils, spark plug removal, and timing chain/belt. Cant remember if it was a belt or chain. Thanks a bunch I appreciate you time and input.

the 5.4 3valves have the spark plugs that can break in two. They also are the ones with the cam phaser problems. I have an 07 f150 and bought it with a blown up motor that had eaten the cam bearings. Our vans all have the 2v, never had problems with chains, or spark plugs. Just make sure you don't use cheap oil filters.

As for the problems, remember these are all commercial vehicles being driven by people not held accountable for driving them like a rental.

I own a 2010 ford e-350 cutaway van box truck. I bought new. I get about 10 mpg. I am always loaded with tools and material though. I tow a 7000 lb. dump trailer often and it has no problem. The only problem I had is that it consumed oil from day 1. One time I was alittle late on oil change,oil level went real low and light never came on and I spun a couple main bearings with 36,000 miles. Ford replaced motor under warranty. Have 80,000 miles now and still runs great.

I’m thinking of getting a used 12 passenger van. I need something that can carry 8 people with luggage and pull my camper. I got nothing against Ford but my last four trucks have been purchased new from GM. I feel confident in the GM product but I’m finding more of the Fords for sale. Also the Fords are running the 5.4 and GM the 6.0. Most Fords are one ton and GM ¾ ton. Anyone have any real life experience with either of the Ford or GM? Gas mileage? Troubles? How many miles did yours have on it? Any information you feel that you could help me I would appreciate. Or even the 5.4 vs 6.0 for reliability and long life.

Thanks. Chad

Average person is around 200-220 x 8 = 1600-1760 in people weight.
Add what ever luggage you bring aboard, figure 50lbs per suitcase x 8 = 400
2000 lbs minimum in cargo.

Going with a 12 passenger van in a Ford van, it's going to be the extended version. The extended Ford vans have a large rear overhang which makes towing difficult. The GM vans have longer wheelbases instead of the rear overhang.

You didn't post how big of a camper you're planning on towing. Add the weight of the cargo and the tongue weight of the camper, you are probably going to be overloaded. Don't forget the braking performance and the safety of the passengers of the van loaded.

IMHO: carrying 8 passengers along with their luggage and towing a camper might be too much for a light duty vehicle. You might have to step up to a medium duty vehicle.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Average person is around 200-220 x 8 = 1600-1760 in people weight.
Add what ever luggage you bring aboard, figure 50lbs per suitcase x 8 = 400
2000 lbs minimum in cargo.

Going with a 12 passenger van in a Ford van, it's going to be the extended version. The extended Ford vans have a large rear overhang which makes towing difficult. The GM vans have longer wheelbases instead of the rear overhang.

You didn't post how big of a camper you're planning on towing. Add the weight of the cargo and the tongue weight of the camper, you are probably going to be overloaded. Don't forget the braking performance and the safety of the passengers of the van loaded.

IMHO: carrying 8 passengers along with their luggage and towing a camper might be too much for a light duty vehicle. You might have to step up to a medium duty vehicle.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I agree, I think for his needs he'll be looking at an E350 in the for line, and a 3500 in the GM line.

Thanks. Chad

Of course you could buy my Excursion! In the non buick for sale section on this board. It only has seating for 7, but the cargo space behind the 3rd row is huge, and it has an 11,000+ # towing capacity. It's a PowerStroke diesel so you wont end up in the poor house feeding it gasoline.

Thanks for the help. My kids are young. I know they will grow but they are under 250lbs combined. Current camper is only 2400lbs. However, I'm looking at a bigger camper. I'm really after reliability. Thanks again.

Have you considered renting a vehicle to tow with when you are going to use the camper and just buy a vehicle that suits your family's needs??

I think you should take a look at the 2500 suburban. Ls engines are pretty bullet proof and towing shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure it has two benches or three if you want that in the front. Ours has room behind the rear seat for luggage and ice chest and tows our twenty eight foot toy box . Ours is older so it has a 7.4l, 4l80e and a set of 3.73 gears. If it is hilly and the trailer is loaded down it slips into the single digits but without the trailer we have see tanks of 15mpg on the hiway.