Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

Fired my car up other day after rebuild. I've used lunati hyd roller lifters sounds sweet.

Lunatis are made by Morel. Many others are too. Morel is the manufacturer where the cam companys get their hyd roller lifters from. They just put their name on them. Except for the all out race stuff, Morel doesn't sell stuff straight to the consumer.

Mike B.

Would like to hear the difference between the Morels and the 885s. Would need to change only the lifters/ pushrods and leave everything else the same. Has anyone done a swap between the two?

Mike Barnard

I know of a motor going together in a few weeks with 885s. I'll have a listen to it when it runs on the dyno.

Bob

My Morels were pretty dang quiet for a few years, (but I only drive about 1K a year), now it clicks and clacks just like the old Comps did. I only get false knock when cruising under very light throttle, they do not inerfere under WOT which is what I care about. Its just old engine technology.
Mike

The T&D shaft system is so well engineered I would be very surprised if anything loosened. I keep suggesting in the new parts suggestion forum for a vendor to build a 2-piece valvecover. Wouldn't it be slick to pop off a lid and check the valvetrain, pulling the entire valvecover is a PITA. So yeah, maybe someday.
Mike

Exact same scenario here! So the 2 that were sticking I put on a pushrod & Slowly tighten them down with the T&D rockers until it bottomed out in the lifter. Let off the pressure & did it about 5 times to each one. removed them & did it by hand in thinnners again, then in oil again about 5 more times. Put them in the car & No More Sticking! really got to Clean the well I think? For the $$$ Comp has a lot of crud in them that shouldn't be there IMO.

PS: I was going to remove the snap ring & take them apart but it was a PITA & I got nervous & stopped. That would be the ultimate way to clean them!

Exactly what I did & mine are quiet compared to many I heard at BPG.
Snap ring also made me nervous.

My fault, my tick-tick turned out to be a small exhaust leak, lifters are fine.
Mike

Any update about the Morel hyd roller lifters?

As for as I can tell, no news is good news. If their were problems we'd hear about it here. I'm still running the original test set in my ten second GN. Zero issues and as quiet as ever. :)

Mike Barnard

I run a lil under .025 (iron heads)....I tried .040 based on advice that was bs....and it didn't want to rev right above 5000...put to my current setting and its much better and no change in noise.

Morel has been manufacturing hyd rollers since spring of '03. Since then they have found and fixed many things with they hyd roller. The latest lift for LS/SB and BBC is a .903" tool steel body that features pressure fed oiling to the needles. It will take over 200# seat load and is great for street and marine, BUT it has Morels tolerances like any other hyd roller and that leads me to your board.

A board member found my site and called about noise. One thing that may not have been brought up to you is Morel recommends nothing heavier than a 15W40 oil. Morels tolerance are much tighter to keep the lifter from bleeding down. The tolerance does not work well with heavier 20W-40 oil. They prefer 5W40 as the valving clearance is in the millionths. The running of the thinner oil will help quiet the noise.

Second the lifter has between .141 and .143" worth of travel. Morel likes to see around .040" worth of preload on the lifters. Depending on the thread size this can vary from 3/4 of a turn to 1. 5 turns. On average aluminum heads grow .006 to .009" . You need to allow for this growth in your preload.

Cam profile. Some closing ramps are just plain nasty. This will cause the lifter to be noisy. Nothing you can do excep change cams.

Chris

Morel has been manufacturing hyd rollers since spring of '03. Since then they have found and fixed many things with they hyd roller. The latest lift for LS/SB and BBC is a .903" tool steel body that features pressure fed oiling to the needles. It will take over 200# seat load and is great for street and marine, BUT it has Morels tolerances like any other hyd roller and that leads me to your board.

A board member found my site and called about noise. One thing that may not have been brought up to you is Morel recommends nothing heavier than a 15W40 oil. Morels tolerance are much tighter to keep the lifter from bleeding down. The tolerance does not work well with heavier 20W-40 oil. They prefer 5W40 as the valving clearance is in the millionths. The running of the thinner oil will help quiet the noise.

Second the lifter has between .141 and .143" worth of travel. Morel likes to see around .040" worth of preload on the lifters. Depending on the thread size this can vary from 3/4 of a turn to 1. 5 turns. On average aluminum heads grow .006 to .009" . You need to allow for this growth in your preload.

Cam profile. Some closing ramps are just plain nasty. This will cause the lifter to be noisy. Nothing you can do excep change cams.

Chris

I agree on the thicker oil affecting it.
You say they recommend .040 then why does the instructions say different.
Unless you mean for alum block and heads then its over .040 preload. Can you clear up the confusion on why the instructions are wrong according to your info thats completely different? Below is right off of Morels instructions page

Use the chart below to determine how many quarter-turns to tighten the
adjuster nut after Zero-lash:
Cast Iron block and Cast Iron Head = .020" - .025"
Cast Iron block and Aluminum Head = .030" - .035"
Aluminum block and Aluminum Head = .045" - .050"

I've sold morels since 97. They have manufactured the hyd since '03. I've been in the "trenches" and I / We are my engine builder customers that I service. What we have found is .040" seems to be the magic number for us over the last 10 years.

One thing I failed to mention is bore to lifter clearance. GM's spec is .0015 to .0018". Most when asked tell me, don't know the lifter went in. This tolerance is critical with hyd rollers. Anything more than .0018" it needs to be bushed.

So your saying .040 preload for all Morel applications Iron Iron...Iron Alum...Alum Alum is what works for you? In Buick applications?