Anyone know what intake gasket to run with Champion Irons?

Intercooler

Is it cut on the intake side to the 1200 size? What do they suggest for a gasket? If it has 1200 port size is anyone using the 96033 valley pan with these heads? Thanks!

It's probably port matched to a FP1200, but a phone call might be in order to double check. They may use a FP1400 to match the exh too, something else to ask. You could just run the 1200 intake, ditch the valley pan idea and also the PCV :) You'll need to ditch the PCV anyway pretty much if you have open breathers. And with those TS rings you'll be set. Works for many of us at least.

TurboTR

You can use the Felpro blue coated one..it will be very close. I don't like those 1200s because you need to either cut out a stock valley pan and wedge it in place or weld a shield under the PCV hole to keep it from sucking oil badly. The iron heads aren't as big on the exhaust side as the 1400 gaskets, either.

I have actually only had a set of Champion Irons in my hands one time. I need the gasket size so I can give a set of each to the guy setting up to do the CNC work. I will definately use the 1400 on the exhaust and use the 1200 for CNC work although you can still probably use the 96033 blue valley pan with them.

Originally posted by Intercooler
I have actually only had a set of Champion Irons in my hands one time. I need the gasket size so I can give a set of each to the guy setting up to do the CNC work. I will definately use the 1400 on the exhaust and use the 1200 for CNC work although you can still probably use the 96033 blue valley pan with them.

I would be very surprised if you can make a port exit sized to the 1400 gasket flow well on an iron head. The exhaust port is limited by the valve size and bowl throat area; hogging the exit out to 1400 gasket dimensions will probably ensure some reversion and crappy flow.

I think this is a case where CNC skills won't replace some hand porting and flow bench time to see what works... :) At Champion and other shops that use CNC porting you'll still find a skilled porter doing the "pattern"; then that pattern port is digitized in the mill to be duplicated.

Well I am not working with a novice here. He has many years of experience on a CNC tool and showed me the program and digital image he has of the Ford heads that he does today. On his wifes 5.0 he changed the valves from 1.74/1.47 valves to 1.94/1.50 and coupled with the CNC work it went from a 13.7 to 13.1 in the quarter with no changes. On the dyno it picked up 40 RWHP so that is 50 HP at the crank with no other changes. We have some test heads to experiment with port design and get flow numbers of them. My question was more if you go to the 1200 intake size can you still seal with a 96033 valley pan? In other words no use in going to 1200's if most won't use them. I have some stock valve hand ported numbers from Frank and by weeks end I will have my hand ported heads with large valves for flow numbers. Supposedly Champions are 206/178 and I would like for us to get 220/185. Let the playing begin:D

Kendall's right.There is no substitute for flow bench time.I spent seven hours on a SF1020 computerized flow bench[3,2&2 sessions]tuning a set of 2nd generation GN-1's.What you think should work,a lot of times doesn't,and what you think won't matter can make the big gains.Weird that.
What you might want to remember is that we make our power under boost,not under vacuum.That changes the whole equation around.