Anyone running the pt52?

Maltman

Just want to hear some opinions, combos, et's :)

Getting ready to start mine in the next couple days after some odds and ends are fixed....but geeked to put my foot in it for the first time.

...just rebuilt the engine: bored over .030, forged pistons, roller cam/rockers...but kept the stock heads for now....

I have crap load of other mods, but I haven't updated my sig and don't feel like typing it all in.

Mark

I have on and it works really nice.I dont have any et slips yet but it is definitely better than the stock turbo.It spools immediately and has had no problems building high boost.I just dont know how to tune for alky yet.My up pipe doesnt get as hot at 17# as it used to with the stock turbo.It is enough turbo to hit the 10s.

Originally posted by Maltman
Just want to hear some opinions, combos, et's :)

Getting ready to start mine in the next couple days after some odds and ends are fixed....but geeked to put my foot in it for the first time.

...just rebuilt the engine: bored over .030, forged pistons, roller cam/rockers...but kept the stock heads for now....

I have crap load of other mods, but I haven't updated my sig and don't feel like typing it all in.

Mark
:confused: If you don't list your mods how can anyone give you any useful input? But i'll give it a shot :rolleyes: it needs a 3000-3200 stall converter to start with:p
Phil

I have a 52. I am happy with it so far. It's gone mid-low 11's for me so far with a bone stock longblock.

Re: Re: Anyone running the pt52?

Originally posted by TurboPhil

:confused: If you don't list your mods how can anyone give you any useful input? But i'll give it a shot :rolleyes: it needs a 3000-3200 stall converter to start with:p
Phil

Well, you motivated me to do some typing :)

I updated the signature with most of the major mods....at least the ones that have some effect on performance....lord knows I spent too much on the "non-performance" items :(

Hope it helps.....and thanks

Mark

I noticed I didn't include 009's (42.5#?) for the injectors or that I have an ultrachip..woops :eek:

Check my sig for times,

You should be able to get in the area of 11.25-11.50 out of it. You have a good convertor but your injectors and heads are your limiting factors. I'm currently in the market for a new one since my 52 is now junk. I don't know why it went bad but I pulled the heads to make sure nothing went through it, and evertyhing looks great there. I guess it is just a mystery. It will fit the bill nicely for you, just try and keep it under 25 psi. Maybe look into a TE-60 or 62. It has a diferent exh. wheel I think than the 51-52 and that seems to be the commom denomintator with their failures.

Later, Doug J

Maltman-looks like you’re on the way to some power but this is just me and I would say your heads are going to be your next thing to focus on and losing them 009’s for some 50’s (I hate 009’s, only with a Max Effort could I ever get them to fuel properly) and ya I had more than one Extender chips.
Doug-don’t tell me you lost the turbine wheel?
:eek:
Phil

:D i want to know if they still charged you to look at it?

i about fell over when you said they were going to charge to look at it ..thats insane.:mad:

same ol line something went thru it.
well since my 2 in 24 hours time my stock turbo has been back on mine and seen plenty of street action and is going fine.

ok now im going to stay out of this cause it could get ugly but good to see you let people know about it..they starting to think im full of poop

im sending out payment monday for a LT70-1 bet it'll hold up.;)

Damn that really sucks about the PT52 cause I was considering getting one when it's time for my rebuild, but now I think I'll look into something like a 63 or 45A cause I don't want to deal with turbo failures. Doug, are you planning on getting a bigger turbo like a TE45A cause it looks like you have enough stall converter and all you would need are some bigger injectors and you'd be on your way to mid 10's!!! :D

Yea Turbine wheel, I figured that PTE would tell me debris too, so I pulled my top end apart. Everthing looked good up there.

After they lied to me about not having any 52's fail :rolleyes: I told them to send it back as soon as they recieved it there, they did and I don't think Daisy charged me to ship it back. :shock:

I was going to keep quiet about it but after I was leid to on the phone I changed my tune. I'm not saying it is completly PTE's problem either. The turbine is made by an outside supplier not them and that seems to be the common denominator in the failures. It could be the fact that I ran it a little lean and hot on an occasion or two I ran my stock turbo that lean a bunch of times, and it's on the car now still working fine.

Yes I've been trying to put the $$$$$ together for a 45a

Doug, you're probably better off with the 45A anyhow cause you'll probably be able to run the same 10.80 @123mph times with about 25lbs of boost instead of 32lbs;) I heard from one guy down here that there isn't that big of a difference between the PT54 and the 51/52 turbos so I think when the time comes for me to get a new turbo I'll probably get a TE63.

Later, Steve

did you ask them about 51's?

curious to see what they said about them.

i got an email from a guy who sent one in resently with bad turbine wheel and they told him "thats strange we havent had many problems with the 51 turbo's" hahahahahahaha ... yea right

I have a 52 on my car now and i have read all the remarks that yall have made about them can you tell me what to look for that may be a problem.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by TurboPhil
....and losing them 009’s for some 50’s (I hate 009’s, only with a Max Effort could I ever get them to fuel properly) and ya I had more than one Extender chips.
Phil

..I thought 009's could handle this? Am I going to be having lean problems? ...or should I still be able to run 11's....assuming I can do so?

Thanks

I'm using a TA 52 and going low 11's with it. I am also doing it with 43#s. No lean problem with a DFI. The car went 10.83 on 29psi. Stock motor.....NOTHING done! I've had the 52 for 3 years now. I replaced a TA60. I have been lean and sent some stuff thru the turbo.

No turbine failures yet. I like the 52 with a AC 3400 N/L converter. Spools like mad!

Dave

Originally posted by turbodave231
I'm using a TA 52 and going low 11's with it. I am also doing it with 43#s. No lean problem with a DFI. The car went 10.83 on 29psi. Stock motor.....NOTHING done! I've had the 52 for 3 years now. I replaced a TA60. I have been lean and sent some stuff thru the turbo.

No turbine failures yet. I like the 52 with a AC 3400 N/L converter. Spools like mad!

Dave
Stock motor as in untouched heads or bottom end with no caps, girdle, etc...? What is the flow rating of the 52 in CFM? Is it larger than my TE-61? Awesome times there!:D

thought for you....

when budget rollers started going bad how many said mine is still fine ??? did they pay attention to whats going on or keep running them costing them a overhaul?

some people pulled theirs out with alot of miles on it and was still fine ... does that make the ones that did go flat not bad??

must agree if you are running untouched heads your flyin..im interested in knowing if you have any mph to go with that et.

mph is hp et is holeshot.