Are doors different?

Tom Kelly

Hi all. Brand new to the forum. Just started work on my 86 GN. Mechanically perfect with aftermarket turbo/alky kit/scanmaster, etc. etc. Everything new except the body and paint. Just left the body shop where we decided I need new doors. I know 81-87 Regal and Cutlass doors work but wondering if any door will do or should I shop for ones with power windows and locks. Dose it make a difference when we are transferring everything from the GN to the new doors?
Another quick question. Existing paint (I think a repaint) has the spoiler as flat and the bumpers glossy. Is that correct. I thought I remembered the bumpers being flat.
Thanks for any help you can provide. I am very excited about this project. My last one was a 66 GS that ended up near perfect in appearance and ran a 13.8 at Englishtown.
Tom

power or not shouldnt matter , bodyshop shouldnt have any problem transferring whatever you have to the new door
not easy finding any good used doors these days , try to find one without trim on top by glass or along bottom (limiteds) as those will require more prep work from the studs and holes to attach the trim
gbodyparts.com sells new complete doors now

rear spoiler should be glossy painted same as the rest of paint on car, bumpers werent as glossy but not flat,
the air dams were natural molded black textured plastic

Good luck finding a used door. I haven't seen a usable one in a j yard in years. You're better of going new now that they make them. Sounds like a decent project. Should be faster than the GS.

power or not shouldnt matter , bodyshop shouldnt have any problem transferring whatever you have to the new door
not easy finding any good used doors these days , try to find one without trim on top by glass or along bottom (limiteds) as those will require more prep work from the studs and holes to attach the trim

rear spoiler should be glossy painted same as the rest of paint on car, bumpers werent as glossy but not flat,

Thanks to you both. I see that gbodyparts does have reproduction door sets at $950.00 That would be a good deal IF THEY FIT. Does anyone have experience with these doors? And thank you also for the paint tips. This car has a flat spoiler and a bumper even glossier than the car. Want to make it right. It does have beautiful reproduction bumper fillers though so no complaints.

Thanks to those who replied. I ended up finding some decent used doors right here in Connecticut. No shipping hassles and I know they will fit perfectly. They do need a little work but not too bad.
Painting project will be this winter and I was wondering about the body side molding. (This particular GN was a demo car at the 1986 Buick Open and seems to have almost every option.) I just read they are RIVETED on? Does anyone know if this Is true. I had assumed we would take them off for painting but now I'm not sure how it will be handled. Does anyone have experience with a repaint with these moldings?
Thanks

if you have the dealer installed bodysides they are aluminum channel with a rubber insert and formed ends , those mouldings are riveted on with pop rivets so when removed there will be holes

if you have the dealer installed bodysides they are aluminum channel with a rubber insert and formed ends , those mouldings are riveted on with pop rivets so when removed there will be holes
Thanks Paul. So I am guessing taking them off to paint might not be the answer? I am changing the doors to used doors which didn't come with the molding. Best to leave them on the fenders and quarter and somehow remove from doors and reattach them to the new doors? Or take them all off fill the holes and use aftermarket moldings? Any prior experience with this?

i wouldnt paint with them on . yank em all ( pull insert strip and drill out the rive heads )
you could reinstall after paint
personally i would fill the holes and leave them off

i wouldnt paint with them on . yank em all ( pull insert strip and drill out the rive heads )
you could reinstall after paint
personally i would fill the holes and leave them off
Ha ha. My son has been trying to convince me to do exactly that (fill in the holes and leave them off) Maybe you are both right. Well I have some time to think about it. Enjoying the car for now and will have the body work and paint done this winter. Don't want to waste good cruising and racing weather. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I surely appreciate it.
Tom