??? asked when burning a new chip

boostedmaxPSI

Hard Member
I just had a new chip burnt for me by PTE and was asked a series of questions.

type of intercooled
are heads stock
fuel pump
Alky
turbo size
converter size

And so forth.

I can understand most of the questions asked like kock up vs. non lockup converter and actually makes me feel good that this chip will somehow be "my" chip when done.

So is this to say that when someone buys a used chip on this board that it may not be the "best" chip for their needs because of a different turbo or different intercooler or different what ever...

Thanks for helping me with the clarification.

You are correct in assuming that a chip may be cut for a particular combo as opposed to how it is marked from the vendor. To prove that I have 2 chips in front of me, both are from PTE and both are cut for 009's and set up for 100 octane. Scanning the chip and doing a side by side comparison their are differences. I will not go into detail, as far as what changes, as I respect the time a chip burner puts into a chip and will not share their findings in a public manner. Tweaking a chip, to a cars combo, is what it takes to go from 12's to 11's to 10's in the 1/4 mile

Mike Banas
87GN

Thanks Mike.

Are you getting into making your own chip? So, what would get tweaked on a chip knowing if my heads were ported or not? Or if I had a CAS V4 or stock intercooler.

Again, I do like that fact that this is a "custom" chip fitted for my car. Being that this is the first chip that I've ever bought for my car and not used, I don't think that I would ever buy a used chip again...

Like you said
Tweaking a chip, to a cars combo, is what it takes to go from 12's to 11's to 10's in the 1/4 mile
And that's what I want...

Thanks for the reply Mike.

FS

Give me your combo and I can give you some chip recommendations as far as what I would put into it.

Mike Banas
87GN

PT-51
CAS-V4
307 hotwired
Kirban Adj. FP regulator
MSD50's
SMC Alky
RJC power plate
ATR 3" DP and Hooker catback with AeroChamber muffs
PTS killer/street tranny with 9/11 3000 stall
Motor is untouched. Valve covers have never been off the car!

Question. What would you change on the chip if I changed my turbo to something smaller or larger? Is it that big of a deal?

Thanks
FS

I have the exact same setup but run 009's instead of 50's. Everything else, including the 9X11 3000 stall and alky kit single feed, are the same. Here is the chip setup, with alky combo, I would recommend..

BLM lock
24 degrees WOT spark advance timing at 255 MAF
SM2 fast update
MAF dropout mod if using a stock MAF
alky pump speed at 8 and spray to kick on at 12#
set boost to 22-23#
02's tuned to 810-800 at the top of 3rd

You may get some transitional knock (3-4 degrees) between 20-30mph. In my case the convertor, with the V4 IC, spool up so fast the ALKY cannot mix with the pump gas to suppress the knock that quick. However all the way through 2nd 3rd and 4th I get 0.0 knock. Been running this way for 2 years with no problem on stock long block with 115K on the odometer.

Almost forgot to mention.. If your running the HD wastegate with stock solenoid and having overboost problems, cut the boost down in the chip. I am not referring to boost scalars as you leave those at 100%.

As far as addressing a bigger turbo. Remember bigger turbo more lag, in most cases. Take some boost out and vary the timing in the spark advance table address the lag.

Mike Banas
87GN

Mike,

Sounds like some good advice for Frank, would you give my combo a shot? Here is what I have:

TE-44
FMIC
Superpump hotwired
Kirban Adj. FP regulator
Dephi 42#'s
SMC Alky - dual nozzle
RJC power plate
ATR 3" DP with adj wastegate, ATR headers and Borla 2 1/4" exhaust
Trans Service tranny with rebuilt D5, 2400 stall
Stock MAF

Car doesn't seem to like much timing.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Mike thanks for the input. Question: What would you change on chip if the car has alky or no alky? I see that quite a few people run higher timing like 22-24* is there more to it than that? Or just the timing changes?

Frank

Yes there is more than just changing timing. Fuel trim table is a given. Best advice to give here is listen to what the chip maker is telling you. If the chip is cut for 110 octane at 28# with 26 degrees of timing of boost do not run pump gas at 18# thinking that will be OK. Share information with the vendor on how your car is responding, with a given chip timing, and begin to customize it( example: how do your 02's look, how much knock are you getting in what gear). It takes time, maybe 3-4 chip revisions, but it will be money well spent..

Mike Banas
87 GN

In addition to listing your combo components,

Send the chipmaker some DS files (or other data recordings) of your car undergoing a variety of operational environments, from idling, cold starts, stop/start traffic, freeway cruising with A/C running, hitting passing gear at 55mph, flash-stall launches, boosted launches, 1/8 & 1/4 mile runs, slicks, street-tires...etcetera.

Label the recording/file appropriately as to activity.

Couple revisions and you'll be closer each time!

Repeat as you continue to mod.

Buying a chip based merely on octane, timing, & injector size alone seems both risky & primitive these days, especially when compared to the very best custom chips available from today's genuine custom-chip makers.

(Bob Bailey at Ramchargers is highly recommended!)

HTH :)