Asleep at the light

87we4turbo

This has been annoying me since last summer. The story goes, my old man has a '65 goat, pontiac 455. Beautiful car, and runs like a beast. We have always talked a little smack to each other about who would beat who, but we have never really run them. So I get a call one afternoon from him and he invites me out to a car show he was at.. Well, it doesn't much to convince me to drive anywhere when its a beautiful day and I get to take the Buick out. Hell.. I look for excuses all the time. Anyway, I drive on out and enjoy the show. Walked around, grabbed a burger and then it was time to leave. We took a lot of back road, one way streets on the way back to his place. BUT! As we are approaching the last light before we turn off into his sub division, which I'd say is about a curved 1/4 mile or so away, it turns red with both of us in each lane. And I'll never forget this because at that precise moment I shot my head towards the GTO as I was yelling out " OOOOOOOOHHH!!!" Only to be greeted with my dad doing the same exact thing haha. We new what was about to go down.
The Goat was cooking some big block popcorn, as we are waiting at the light. Intense times.. gotta prove somethin! Gotta STICK IT TO THE MAN! I CAN DO THIS! I start building boost, but the opposite traffic light is very awkward to see... hhmmm, so as I'm torquing my neck to try to see the yellow come on. BAM! GREEN LIGHT! Goat blows outta the gates like a bat outta hell. What the hell just happened?! Well, time to play catch up! But no... I don't. I didnt catch up to him. And I haven't heard the end of it whenever cars come up in conversation.
and winter comes
and winter goes
It was a one of the first beautiful days out yesterday, well at least one without a shit load of salt all over the roads. So I take the buick and head for the old mans house. I show up and tell him I was gunna wipe off the GTO and we were gunna take a short cruise. To my surprise he agreed, and we proceeded to do so. It doesn't take long until we are side by side rolling at about 50mph. I fall back so my front bumper is at his door, open the cutout for him to hear the turbo spoolin up, and he jumps on it. I lay on it and we are both hauling ass, but he isn't moving anywhere.. he just stays a fender ahead of me. I'm not sure of the speed, wasn't looking down, and after yelling some words right after we let out. I look up to see a cop sitting in the middle median. YIKES! closed the dump, and just slightly held the brakes a bit. What do you know.. cruised on by and nothing. I mean there is no way he didn't hear us. Is it luck.

The Buick has never been running how I believe she should be. But I've gathered many parts this winter, have met some good chaps and plan on doing anything and everything to unleash the beast that I know I have. I love this car, and only wish I will be able to flood this thread with kills... Like the great mean chicken! Haha had to say it, really enjoy the stories man.
Wish me luck gentlemen.

Good luck sounds like fun but watxh your scantool and tune it

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Outstanding!
This has the potential to be the biggest rivalry since Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, or Meanchicken and Turbo Lou. A legendary rivalry is nothing without the ability to tell the story well. You sir, have that gift. I (we:D) look forward to hearing the details of the humbling of your dear old dad.

It doesn't sound like you need much to do it. Most "good" street races that I've seen are lost do to traction. What tire are you running? Looking at your combo, You've got some good parts and should be able to get deep in the elevens with a good tune. Have you ever run your car at the track? Has your dad run his? What are your ETs? With a little better SLIC and a 6262 dbl BB turbo you should get in the tens on pump gas with a good hook. Your 2800 converter would be fine too.

Let us know how it goes. We want to hear about you spanking that old goat...

The car, that is.;)

Mike Barnard

Outstanding!
This has the potential to be the biggest rivalry since Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, or Meanchicken and Turbo Lou. A legendary rivalry is nothing without the ability to tell the story well. You sir, have that gift. I (we:D) look forward to hearing the details of the humbling of your dear old dad.

It doesn't sound like you need much to do it. Most "good" street races that I've seen are lost do to traction. What tire are you running? Looking at your combo, You've got some good parts and should be able to get deep in the elevens with a good tune. Have you ever run your car at the track? Has your dad run his? What are your ETs? With a little better SLIC and a 6262 dbl BB turbo you should get in the tens on pump gas with a good hook. Your 2800 converter would be fine too.

Let us know how it goes. We want to hear about you spanking that old goat...

The car, that is.;)

Mike Barnard

Thanks Mike!
Currently I've been running just some BFG Radial TAs that are completely worn. I do have plans on picking up a set of MT ET streets in the near future. I have not run the car at the track yet, due to already knowing it hasn't been running right. The goat hasn't either, because my dad just doesn't really care all too much..
Although I'm almost embarrassed to say, I do believe I found the reason the Buick doesn't like being beat on. When I first heard of the car, it was from a flyer that was handed to a friend of mine at a car show and passed on to me. It was just a simple 'car for sale' flyer and it listed all that had been done to the car. Fit my criteria, so I bought it... Haha, and after everything went to shit and it needed to be built again. I found out that the so called Forged Pistons as listed in the flyer, weren't there, along with other things listed. Well.. one thing I never investigated that was on the flyer was "High Output Fuel Pump and Hotwired" :confused:.. So i quickly shuffled through all the receipts that came with the car and found one for a gas tank gasket and fuel pump. Ran the part # and what do you know.. A Stock Fuel pump. DOH! I understand this is a big no no. Thankfully I haven't ignored the fact that the car hasn't been running right. So I never really beat on her all too much, and rarely drive it. I ordered a Walbro 340 and a hotwire kit and I am currently waiting.
Not all the parts in my signature are in the car yet, as most of them resided in boxes taunting me everyday. I'm still waiting to get a couple little things, and then it's time for the exciting weekend install in the good ole garage.
Although damage to the engine may have happened (it still sounds and feels good when driving) I'm just excited to finally have a solution to the problem..
I'm still a noob.. learning, spending a ridiculous amount on the car.. and learning some more.
Turbo Buicks for life!

Yup!
You're screwed. Just like the rest of us. Strung out on that turbo crack cocaine, known to us as "Boost".:eek: Once you get things sorted out, a good set of MT drag radials will give you the most bang for your buck for seeing the competition in your rear view mirror. Let us know if we can help. The power of The Dark Side is behind you. :)

WWMCD?

Mike B.

It's like having a hot girlfriend. They're fun to look at and take for a ride, but in the end it's a lot of money and headaches.

lol Good job , you better watch them old pontiacs. If they can stay hooked they are HUGE torque monsters !!!!