Best rings for a stock shortblock rebuild

TURBOTIMMER

I'm rebuilding the motor for my wh1. This is basically gonna be a stock short block with home ported heads and a 212 roller cam. I'd like to know what rings you guys are using for the stock slugs and where to get em.

TIA

I'm rebuilding the motor for my wh1. This is basically gonna be a stock short block with home ported heads and a 212 roller cam. I'd like to know what rings you guys are using for the stock slugs and where to get em.

TIA
What kind of power are you looking at making?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3f0b83fa0b750b60bf776b4846ec0224.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says right on the instructions of the total seal rings. 10's or better and you're doing a stock rebuild?...o_O

Also, worry about the finish on the bores before locking down the 'best' rings.

The final hone needs to match the rings and vice versa.

TIA
I use Total Seal CR2165-5 ring set. Gap top ring.018"-.020", Gap second .020"-.022".

For a cheaper excellent option, use Sealed Power E-434K ring set. Summit has best pricing on these.

Thanks Dave. I ordered a set of the total seals today from Jeg's. Summits website said they wouldn't have them till the end of November.

Update.
I'm finally getting to this engine after gathering parts for the last few months. After fitting all my bottom rings to between .021-.022", I managed to overgap my first top ring to .022. Called total seal to see if they sell single rings. All three guys I spoke with said the gap needs to be at least .030 for a high boost application. After a 4th call, I got a guy to send me a couple of extra single rings.
I know they're just trying to help, but this is yet another example of why it's important to listen to guys here that have "been there and done that."

I would have screwed it together with that .022" top ring. Since you're not working with a precision torque plate hone (done correctly), that couple thou of extra gap won't matter one bit. ESP on those thick stock sized rings.

Are you planning on running a stock ECU for this or SD2/XFI, Tim? Or is that a secret for now?

Update.
I'm finally getting to this engine after gathering parts for the last few months. After fitting all my bottom rings to between .021-.022", I managed to overgap my first top ring to .022. Called total seal to see if they sell single rings. All three guys I spoke with said the gap needs to be at least .030 for a high boost application. After a 4th call, I got a guy to send me a couple of extra single rings.
I know they're just trying to help, but this is yet another example of why it's important to listen to guys here that have "been there and done that."

Tim
This is so true and a .030 ring will promote too much blow buy in a N/A combination so a forced induction will be worse. Good luck and hope to see you in BG this year