Best turbo going 22# max.

tcgn

What`s the best strong pulling(seat of the pants)turbo going
at 22# boost maximum?Worry about blowing head gaskets.Do want to R/R engine again.I know my TE61 pulls strong at higher boost levels.I have arp main studs,rod bolts and head bolts on my engine with about 30K miles.Last time I went around 25# to 27# at short burst on freeway and next thing I`ve notice is my coolant recovery bottle gets lower by the day and my oil level getting higher.Engine overhaul was later performed.(Bearings,cam are wiped out).Not planning to run high boost again.Head gasket are FEL PRO replacements.I want get a turbo
that pulls strong from low boost to 22# and not waking up at 22#
to pull strong.Thanks in advance.:confused:

most all the turbos are good to 25+ psi. if you want to keep good spool and want power at 22 psi you may think about a 49/44. i ran on 22 psi for a while and it felt great. of course a bigger turbo at the same boost will be faster but spool will be affected. if you did some minor port work on the heads, running 22 psi would be like running stock heads at 25+ psi.

if you want quicker spool up, get with eric marshall in my sig-

he can make your combo right, even if you want to run low boost around 22 with that te61

i dont see a benefit downsizing your trubo right now, just maximize your combo right now-
BW

Originally posted by nickb
how much does it run to get the stock heads ported?

not sure. you could prob have a mild port job i.e. bowl work, cleanup, etc or something done in the vicinity of say $500 or so id guess. the bowls are the most restrictive part of stock heads and there is some good gains to be seen by cleaning them up.

A bigger turbo at low boost is still going to create the same cylinder pressure as a smaller turbo at higher boost. i.e., your turbo at 25 psi and a bigger one at 22 psi, to create the same power will still create the same cylinder pressure, and still blow hg's just as fast. Keep your turbo, spend the money trying to figure out why you're blowing hg's. Too lean? Not enough octane? Decks not flat? Something is wrong and changing turbos won't fix it.

You're also looking at about $800 in labor to take the heads off and put them back on, so a mild port job is still $1300 when you include the labor.

Originally posted by turbosam6
A bigger turbo at low boost is still going to create the same cylinder pressure as a smaller turbo at higher boost. i.e., your turbo at 25 psi and a bigger one at 22 psi, to create the same power will still create the same cylinder pressure, and still blow hg's just as fast. Keep your turbo, spend the money trying to figure out why you're blowing hg's. Too lean? Not enough octane? Decks not flat? Something is wrong and changing turbos won't fix it.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was getting confused at some of the responses.

Bo

TT/Ameasap

Bo-
ive been meaning to ask you this for a long time-

what the heck does your username mean? :D

thanks-

oh BTW- head removal, 800? i will do it for half that-
and get it done right-

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
TT/Ameasap

Bo-
ive been meaning to ask you this for a long time-

what the heck does your username mean? :D

thanks-

Why??? Do you dislike it? So does it amuse you??? Am I like a freakin clown to you???? Gimme the phone....:eek: j/k:D

Well, I wanted to buy a Turbo T/A on this site and typed in what was on my mind at the time and it just so happend to be..........BEER!!!!:D

PBR me asap ---------- TT/A me asap:D and the rest is history!

I can also say, Nobody has asked me that question before.

Bo

LOL-
i was putting something together in the garage a couple of months ago, and your username popped into my head,.. TTAMEASAP,..over and over again,.. ive been wondering what the heck it ment..
now i know you like PBR:rolleyes: ;)

BW

PBR ....eeeeew.... The song was in my head at the time from a few years ago thats all. Do they still sell that shnizit?

Nothing but King of beers here. :D

Just a catchy tune.

Bo;)

$1300. for a mild porting job? you can buy brand new cnc d ported irons from champion for less than that ! if i read that last post right. i d get the champions and install them yourself.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
You're also looking at about $800 in labor to take the heads off and put them back on, so a mild port job is still $1300 when you include the labor.

If it is $800 in labor to R&R the heads, my car owes me some serious Money:D :D :D :eek:

My guess is the labor to R&R heads on a TTA would be more than on a GN... $800 seems high for labor only....$500 would be the norm, imo.

Where are the mechanics on this board. What does the book list as the amount of time to R&R heads?