Billet Cam Gear Failure: What's fixed it for you?

Jason, are you saying you have seen stock factory gears wear? I have not seen factory stuff show any extreme wear--just a shinny spot. Assuming the after market cast rollers have the oil hole @ the correct angle --hole size and such--I don't forsee any wear problems. I don't know how long they have been in service--time will tell--didn't take long for the econo roller to show how good they were. I have not heard any bad news on the latest cast roller altho I wonder how much spring pressure they will withstand.

Haven't seen a stock cam in years. Aftermarket cams I've seen wear at various levels.

cam gear/distributor gear

A little off topic, definitely a cool mod and worth doing. Lee / Gneric, how nice was the 218/224 roller? What was your powerband RPM, shift points, and whose lifters were/are you using? Just curious needed to buy another cam since mine is ruined from the comp853's, I have the 4.1, thanks

I am still in the process of building the car so the cam hasn't been installed yet. I have a 224/224 cam in my 87 and it runs GREAT!!!! People said it would surge on the highway and lag bottom end. It has the ultimate throttle response and gets 25mpg on the highway without a hint of surging, all with 83# injectors.

Are you sure? That seems like a blanket statement. I've seen wear on the gears in every application. (ie.camshafts)

I can't say I'm sure, that's for sure. But I'm sure the FT cams have the oil hole.

I was running a polymer gear with my billet core cam for a while. It lasted much longer than the stock gear but it too wore out eventually.

Good info here! I chased a cam sensor gear issue for a month. Caused the ecu to lose cam signal at high rpms. I will check the cam gear this winter. I'm running the original factory timing cover still with a felpro gasket. Have not checked to see if there is an alignment issue yet Is the dls fix still need the oil mods?

Mine was doing the same thing.. that's what triggerd me to start looking at why.. thought it was a coil pack/module.. finally pulled the camsensor cap and had 1/2 or more play!!!! :mad:

The hole in the flat tappet cam for oiling I did not know about... Nice info there! That explains a lot.

My gear should be done this week. If it's not snowing I'll spend a afternoon alligning the (flat tappet) gear on the cam and go for a long drive...
See what happens.
Thanks for all the helpfull information from everyone!:)
~Scott