Borg warner S300 turbos

Wahoo

I'm converting from a hot air to intercooled and since I have a few different exhaust manifolds and a welder and I'm not doing a complete conversion, I'm debating doing a custon setup with at least the 86/87 intake manifold.

I was thinking of doing a 4 bolt turbo.

I found this to seem like a real cheap turbo that seems to possibly be capable of 800hp.

https://thmotorsports.com/borgwarner/borgwarner-airwerks-turbo-s300sx-series/177283/i-2283273.aspx

What do people think of doing a setup with this turbo?

Just wondering if it would spool ok and what type of power it might be able to make, im on e85.

Please don't ask about my goals or tell me I need to spend 20k to run 10s or 9s.

But I can tell you I'm going to be starting a 109 build, forged rotating assembly (stock stroke most likely), either way at least forged with billet main caps. Roller cam and probably stock heads this year ported next year.

Thx

See if you can run through the matchbot software with this particular model turbo. I expect this will be comparable to others on the market, and with an appropriately sized turbine A/R would be just fine, and a fair alternative to a 6266-ish turbo. Because BW does performance testing and develops compressor maps for their turbos, you can actually do meaningful sizing with their software.

Efficiency is good in the pressure range you'd be looking to run (2.8 - 3.0, 26-30 psig), and stays very efficient to 60 lb/min, maxing out at around 70 lb/min. Should be enough air to get you to deep 10s or lower with a car that is working right.

The normal experts around here should know what mass flow it takes to run the numbers based on field testing, I'm sure they have data to bring to the table.

Need a good set of heads to take advantage of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need a good set of heads to take advantage of this

Yeah definitely plan to do ported heads eventually. What's your thoughts on spool up?

Does a equally sized compressor and exducer wheels on two different turbo's, only difference being 3bolt vs 4bolt, will the 4 bolt always spool up better?

It seems a .63 AR isn't common other than for our buicks, the turbo I listed in this thread lowest AR is .88 I believe, how would that compare to an older 3 bolt similar sized wheels but .63 AR?

Spool up is never an issue on these small turbos that flow under 90lbs/min.

You'll need about 3200rpm to spool that turbo with a 3.8l. From everything I've read on this turbo it flows as well as the cast 66 I had on my engine. I'd go with the smallest turbine housing available. Also most of the time with the super core turbo the turbine housing is sold separate.

You should consult Nick Micale about the BW turbos. He is working on a bit bigger set up but I'm sure he can advise you on exhaust sizes.

The biggest advantage with these turbos is the lightweight materials being used which allows for very quick spool up. I don't know that you will need a 3200 stall speed converter to make it work. Especially on iron heads. Porting them will give you better flow across the board which is more power.

I would have no problem running a 4 bolt housing on that set up. I am with my car and its not an issue.

I'm converting from a hot air to intercooled and since I have a few different exhaust manifolds and a welder and I'm not doing a complete conversion, I'm debating doing a custon setup with at least the 86/87 intake manifold.

I was thinking of doing a 4 bolt turbo.

I found this to seem like a real cheap turbo that seems to possibly be capable of 800hp.

https://thmotorsports.com/borgwarner/borgwarner-airwerks-turbo-s300sx-series/177283/i-2283273.aspx

What do people think of doing a setup with this turbo?

Just wondering if it would spool ok and what type of power it might be able to make, im on e85.

Please don't ask about my goals or tell me I need to spend 20k to run 10s or 9s.

But I can tell you I'm going to be starting a 109 build, forged rotating assembly (stock stroke most likely), either way at least forged with billet main caps. Roller cam and probably stock heads this year ported next year.

Thx
From what I have seen it takes more than just bolting on a turbo that has made x amount of power on another car or comp map and thinking yours Is going to do the same.the fact of the matter is a lot of these turbos overlap and there ratings usually fall short when put on a Buick.the turbo you choose should be based on the power and response time as well as the durability you want out of the unit