brake light

Fuelie600

My brake light eluminates for a split second when the brake pedal is first pushed. Car has 14,000 miles, brass proportioning valve installed 2 years ago. This started this spring after storing the car for the winter (don't know if there is a relationship). the car stops fine and there are no leaks anywhere. No corrosion anywhere ( CAR IS LIKE NEW INSIDE/OUT ). PM pressure switch was replaced under recall in '98. Have a "Jumper valve" installed to the rear brakes and soft shoes, but all was working perfect when the car was put up for the winter. Might try bleeding the brakes, but I suspect maybe it's time for an Accumilator. Any input would be helpful. Thanks Brian

Sounds like the accumulator ball, exactly the symptoms of mine. As time went on, the light would come on and stay on longer. The price of a new accumulator ball might make you want to switch to vaccuum.

Is there a test for the accumulator. If needed, where is the best place to purchase? What causes failure?,,,,,,,,, certainly not milage, 'cause I hardly have any. Just acted up suddenly, but I am noticing a slightly softer pedal. Is this something easily replaced after the pressure is relieved? Thanks

It is really easy to replace, just pump the brake pedal about 20-30 times with the key off to make sure pressure is released, then you just unbolt the accumulator ball and install the new one. I don't really know where to buy them, I bought mine from Cottons performance around a year to a year and a half ago, it was $110!!! There may be a test on GNTtype.org, something like pumping the pedal with key off and timing how long the PM motor stays running when key is swithed on. HTH

Originally posted by Fuelie600
Is there a test for the accumulator. If needed, where is the best place to purchase? What causes failure?,,,,,,,,, certainly not milage, 'cause I hardly have any. Just acted up suddenly, but I am noticing a slightly softer pedal. Is this something easily replaced after the pressure is relieved? Thanks

There is a test for the accumulator, but it requires a brake pressure test kit. If you want to know how to make an adapter for the brake pressure test kit , let me know or do a search (as I have posted detailed instructions on what is required). You could remove the accumulator and rest a pen screwdrive into the hole. If it drops more than half way, you need to replace the accumulator. DON'T FORGET TO DEPRESSURIZE THE SYSTEM BEFORE REMOVING THE ACCUMULATOR AND JUST REST THE SCREWDIVER, DON'T APPLY PRESSURE. This is a primative test, but could tell you if the accumulator is shot.

Didn't have anything that small and long enough, so I used a finish nail. Set it in the hole at the tip if the accumulater and it dropped in 1" exactly. Did I need to have something heavier? Hows 1" look for distance. Brian

If it doesn't drp more than half way, then it's probably okay. What you're trying to determine is if the diaphram is still intact. From the description, it sounds like it's okay. Bleed the brakes and verify the switches are adjusted properly.

It was the accumulater ball. I followed the troubleshooting guide on GNTtype.org. All's good. Brian