brake pros I need advice

dan lephart

Just finished my front brake pads, turned rotors, repacked bearing and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. Stops great! But... when rolling along there is a very noticeable clickity, clickity. Any suggestions??? :confused:

Did you use disc brake quiet on the front pads so they are held tight and don't vibrate???
Tarey D.

brake?

No I did not use disc brake quiet. Does it actually adhere the pads to the mounting surfaces? A local mechanic suggested the anti rattle clips were not installed correctly or are sprung and need replaced. :confused:

Re: brake?

Originally posted by dan lephart
No I did not use disc brake quiet. Does it actually adhere the pads to the mounting surfaces? A local mechanic suggested the anti rattle clips were not installed correctly or are sprung and need replaced. :confused:

If the clicking stops when you step on the pedal, then it probably is loose pads. Pull the calipers and make sure they're nice and snug. If they're rattling around, you need to bend the clips a bit to get them snug.

The tabs at the top that locate the pads may need to be clinched

Some pads fit pretty loosely. I usually take a chisel and wedge it between the edge of the pad and the hub of the rotor (horizontally) and then tap the tabs down againt the caliper to clinch them. You can also squeeze them together with a very large pair of channel-lock pliers. IMHO, Disc Brake Quiet is a crutch for a sloppy brake job. :cool:

stoppin

The Bendix CT3 ceramic pads are $58 @ advance auto parts. They are great! (so far) My clickity trouble was the machine shop cut one of the rotors at an angle!! #@%^*! My local mechanic told me even if the pads were loose a straight rotor will NOT make them click. Ended up trashing the rotors. The machine shop did make it right. These rotors were not cheap, Bendix @ $57 ea. Now everything is perfect. I did replace the inner anti - rattle springs @ $4. I chinched the front outer pads using the wedge, hammer and hit em method - worked great!!! The second time around was quick - hate doing stuff twice. THANX FOR THE ADVISE EVERYONE! :D :rolleyes: