Braking Lockup Concern/possible Problem

PaulRV6

I have installed soft rear shoes with larger wheel cylinders. While driving about 30 mph, I needed to do a semi panic stop. What happened was the front seemed to lock up first. I thought with what I have installed the rears would lock up first. Is this correct?
Do I have another problem somewhere? Please advise.

paul

com'on someone must have advice???

Well, out of the 12 that read this does any of you have any recommnedations on if this is ok? Do I have a problem with my brake system or not? Please advise.

I know this isn't one of the more exciting topics but still begs some answers. Thanks

paul

With the little info you provided, would "assume" that the Powermaster is still in the car?

If so, it has been my experience that it little provides fluid pressure to the rear brakes. Have never been able to get rear brakes to lock up in a panic stop in a stock GN with PM . Apparently it has to do with the master cylinder bore for the rear brakes.

Another question from me is why larger cylinders?

Thanks Nick, yes I still have the PM installed. I installed the larger rear cylinders to be able to hold more boost. Have not proven that yet only what was advertised when purchased.

Needed to add more: I was concerned for when I do take the car to the track for the first time. I did not want to have a brake problem while trying to stop at hopefully 100 mph.
Thanks

paul

Are your rear brake adjusters set up right?I fthe brake drums don't have a lip,the drums should just slide on comfortably when the start wheels are set right.
Now,if that's all right,I think you'll find that G/M purposely sets up the braking systems on their products so they Don't lock the rear wheels in a panic stop.
Anybody remember the X Car [Citation,etc.]rear wheel lockup problems from the early 80's?
For you guys who don't know or aren't old enough to know,what was going on was the rear wheels would lock up and the driver would loose control of the vehicle and get into an accident.
I believe that G/M got into some lawsuit trouble over this.
So IMO[and the opinions of the auto manufacturers],rear wheel lockup at speed is not a good thing to have happen.
Some of the earlier ABS systems I saw on trucks were rear wheel only.I suspect that the observations about rear wheel lockup at speed were the reason.
Now you're using a modified rear brake system to try and gain more holding power under boost at launch.A good thing in terms of drag race launchs,but be careful in regular driving,especially on rainy days.FUBAR warned me about this[he has the modified rear brakes].
We took Ron Josephs to task about this very thing on the other board when he asked us what we thought about his new brake booster kit.
He apparently agreed with us as he includes a momentary switch in his kit to engage the solenoid only when the button is depressed.
Otherwise the system is inoperative when driving down the strip[if I read the mag' article right],allowing for normal braking characteristics with the obvious benefits.Looks like he took our concerns to heart.Smart man.