Buick race day at Madras, Oregon

hrvydrvy

Left coast Buick lover.
One of the guys on V8 asked that I post this here. There is going to be Buick gathering on Saturday May 24th. Here's the message from V8:

I talked to the track officials and they said they would love to have us on Saturday may 24. the ponitac day is the next day if you want to watch. please reply if you still are interested even though it will just be us and the normal madras racers. It will still be fun to get a bunch of buicks at the track.
He would love to have some turbo cars show up. Here is his contact information if you are interested in going.

James Love
jlove1970@excite.com
Phone 541-408-4808

Harvey

How far from Boise is this track and where abouts in Or. is Madras located.
thanks

Ron

Yea, it's 1/8th mile. From pictures on their site, the track looks a lot like Yakima. It's about 300 miles from Seattle and would be about an 8+ hour drive considering traffic and stops for food and gas. I have driven thru Madras on my way to ski at Bend many times. It is a nice drive, but it wouldn't be worth to me unless some other people were going too.

Any listings for motel, hotels in the area?? Considering going, cause it looks like I might not make it to TT9.

Ron

I see that there is a Best Western and a Budget Inn, you guys that live there,
which would you choose??

Ron

I was just looking at the track schedule and they had nothing for the 24th or
the 25th of May, please clue me in. I be clueless!!

Ron

Ron, I don't know what track schedule you were looking at but on the Madras web site it says May 24 is TBA and the 25th is Pontiac race. Madras has only a little over 5000 people, so its not real big, but I'm sure they have enough motels there. Is there anyone else there you can drag along? I'd like to have an excuse to get out of this rat race city for even a weekend. Anyone around here want to go?

I do not know if Shawn has his car ready, I will ask, also will ask Henry and John Lindsay, so that could be possibliy for, will let you know.

Ron

hi guys, this is james love. i thought i would join the board to help clear up some of the confusion. on the 24th the madras dragstrip site says TBA but their will be actual points racing. sportsman, pro, and superpro classes. I would love it if you could get some really fast turbo cars to our track. I get the eye roll's and then pshh "their is know way a turbo 6 can run with our big v8's" so come on guys I beg you please get some cars down here to madras and shut these guys up. We are trying to get all kinds of buicks up here. and in my opinion, if we don't have turbo 6's here then we are not properly representing the Buick brand. also if you need any help with info please let me know

Sonny's Motel in madras 541-475-7217 tell them you are going to track and i think you get a discount. If you want you can camp at the track no charge.

Madras

Hi guys,
A little back ground on the Madras track. I'm an Oregon native and have raced on and off in the Portland area. Madras track has been around for many years but I've only been there once - last year. It's in the high desert country of central Oregon, elevation about 2500ft. It's a good track, 1/8th mile, but not much in the way of facilities. The people there are great. One of the most friendly crowds I've ever been around. It's very popular with the locals (Bend, Redmond, Prineville) and many others that come from the valley or even SE Washington. It was pretty crowded the day I was there and only got in 4 passes. It was apparent that the announcer had never seen a GN before. The first time I came to the line he looked at my sign in card and said, "well, here's a Buick..you don't see many of those, it's a Grand National, what ever that is!" Had a great time even though my car wasn't running worth a darn. Well worth the drive. I'm down for an engine rebuild right now but if it's back together by May 24th I'll be there.

Hey CliffyC

I'm glad you had a good time at our track. And that was an unusually crowded day that day. I am the Buick guy that was there with the 72 skylark. I sure hope you can make it back again. Did you ever figure out what the problem was with your car. No one has contacted me yet to let me know if any of you turbo guys are going to be there. I sure hope some of you turbo guys can make it please contact me to let me know if you can make it. I would like to get a head count.

How many runs would a person get on this Sat. event?? I would hate to drive 300 miles just to get in 1 or 2 runs before eliminations!!

Ron

You will get 3 time trial runs. I have never seen them run 1 round of time trials. And very rarely have i seen 2 time trial runs. they have only done 2 time trials when there is a lot of delays such as rain(which we never get) or a lot of oil downs. then it depends on how many rounds you stay in after that. so if you get put out in the first round you will get 4 runs if you make it to the finals you would get about 7 total. it all depends on how good you are and how many people show up. I hope you can make it, and by the way, what ET do you run. We have 3 classes. Sportsman is 8.20 and slower in the 1/8. Pro is no electronics(unless it is stock) and i don't remember the ET Break. and Super Pro which is full electronics.

Might not make this event, popped the old head gasket, will start this evening pulling the motor and trans.

Ron