Cal Hartlines e-85 tune

northerngn

Master Monkeywrench
ive been really burning the candle at both ends the last few days ...long story short
i got my xfi from hartline performance on thursday
installed in my new replacement gn thursday night and talked briefly with cal
installed w/b in downpipe friday night and adj only idle rpm
got up sat at 430 and drove over 120 miles to the track driveability was never touched from cals startup tune and was perfect
mileage was great was well
got to the track and ran a best of 12.85 @105
60 foot was crap tho 1.971
i cut a 1.7 later on the nittos with a moster burout on but lifted after the rearveiw mirror flew past me head and my quickly taped on a pillar pod came off
doing the math if i stayed in it i could have been a 12.40 potentially..still...
(car is bone stock with 117000 miles)
only aftermarket parts are K&n,fuel pump,fuel reg,xfi,downpipe and delphi75's

not to shabby for and old wore out v6
no major changes were ever made(some minor simple tweaks only,remember ive owned xfi for 3 days at that point)

i may go back next weekend and flog it again...
i want to get to know my way around xfi before i drop in the motor i have on the stand this winter

##**almost forgot this was on e-85 only boost at 20psi and still not knocking##**
i could have thrown more at it but i wanted to make sure to make it home...
i threw 25lbs at it this morning and still no knock!!!

oh yeah and i love e85 near the 2dollar a gal mark here in mn

:D ***big thanks to cal and holly at hartline!!!***:D

Attachments

• stock rocks.jpg
    stock rocks.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 645
This is great news!! I don't get to do that many E-85 programs. As well as E-85 works in our turbo cars, I'm suprised that more people aren't using it. Give me a call this week and we'll finish dialing it in.

Good news Dan, I am glad I was able to convert you from your Max Effort set up to a new FAST setup! I hope my quick walkthrough on Ccom helped a little.

Cal, I tried calling you last week, we have another club member I am sending your way for an XFi setup in his TTA. I have been working on my tune a bit and am sitting at 11.51 at 119 with a 1.76 60'. Slowly working out the o2 correction and getting it to ride in the 11's with little to none correction. I should also add this was on 18 PSI of boost. The little bit you have helped me has gone a long way, my motor has 300 miles on it, total, with over 36 passes on it and it just keeps getting faster.

Its to bad we do not have e85 out here yet. I am still just running 92 pump gas with methanol injection.

I may try it when my car is back running, but there isn't much E-85 locally but I haven't really looked lately. They keep building more ethanol plants so it should be available soon.

This is great news!! I don't get to do that many E-85 programs. As well as E-85 works in our turbo cars, I'm suprised that more people aren't using it. Give me a call this week and we'll finish dialing it in.

Cal there are plenty of us. We just stay quiet for the most part. When E-85 first came out it was supposed to be kryptonite for our cars :tongue:

Good job guys. E-85 is no joke and many have found that out and have turned off or un-installed their alky injection system :biggrin:

I've been mixing about 6 gallons of e85 with 10 gallons of 93. northerngn are you going to the test and tune or the race day? I see in your picture your at Rock Falls. I might be coming up there with my 87 T Saturday.

Awesome news!! Keep up the good work!

Sounds like Mr. Hartline does some GREAT work!! :thumbup:

Thanks MrMNTTA. Straight E85 is a lot easier to tune than the mixture pontiac6269 is using. Of course if you use the GM flexfuel sensor it won't matter what mixture you have.

I'm suprised that more people aren't using it. .

Like many, it may be because of the costs involved in converting over.
Or, the availability of E85.
Or, having to start all over with a new tune (that would only be good when fuel is available).

Like many, it may be because of the costs involved in converting over.
Or, the availability of E85.
Or, having to start all over with a new tune (that would only be good when fuel is available).

Ah the different tunes are easy for me now... ie the MAFT Pro. :biggrin: I wish I had the $$$ for Cal tuned E-85 XFI :smile:

I've been mixing about 6 gallons of e85 with 10 gallons of 93. northerngn are you going to the test and tune or the race day? I see in your picture your at Rock Falls. I might be coming up there with my 87 T Saturday.

i im going to try to make it
i may throw on a te45a i have laying around here on it tonight and try for some 11's save for the crap stock intercooler

never mind that im going a a fall car cruise with a bunch of my car buds..if ya go post results!!! good luck to ya!!!

You might not of liked it. There had to be at least 150 cars there it was packed. Plus about 4 oil downs early when it was cooler. Made 5 runs and my best was a 13.29@103.83 with a 2.129 60 foot. Brakes don't hold good enough to build boost at the line, 3psi and it starts to roll. I think my transmission is shifting to soon, seems like its in third gear to early. I leave it in drive and let it shift by itself.

getting back from my car cruise i noted almost 20mpg on the ol E-85
not bad being how many time the boost guage was past the 20psi mark..heheheh

pontiac6269
what was the boost at??
blend i a lil e-85 and turn up the fuel pressure a tad that worked for me when i still was running a stock ecm...

-dan

I'm at 17 psi of boost, set the fuel pressure at 45 pounds with the line off. Thinking about getting a Turbo Tweak e85 chip. The car doesn't pull until about2 or 3 feet out.