cam sensor

tford

Registered Member
If I installed it 180 out, do I need to remove it completely or just turn it? I have the caspers tool on the way. Thanks, Tim

spinning the base and putting the wires 180 from where they are would work , but if you are already loosening the bolt why not just remove it and do it right

Ok. I'll just take it back out again. Setting tool should be in by tomorrow. Will see you at one of the MAGNA events sometime this spring/summer. Dave H. built me a beast. Can't wait to see how it runs. Thanks, Tim

I have a similar question. Getting a misfire (pop) at 10 psi and read that the cam sensor should be turned counter clockwise 1/8" to 1/4". Must I find tdc first or just turn it and call it a day?

This cam sensor setting is driving me nuts!!! I reset it with the caspers tool and made sure the engine was 25 degrees past tdc. Went to start it and just kept cranking. The window was pointing towards drivers side headlight. Turned it a little and it started but ran rough. Shut it down and changed the plugs because they were soaked with gas. I'm going to retry setting it today with the fresh plugs. I'm thinking maybe remove it again to try to get the window to point directly to the drivers side instead of towards the headlight. Any ideas/thoughts to help me out are very appreciated. I'm getting to the end of my rope here. Thanks, Tim

I know a member on here made a video on indexing the cam sensor correctly. If you go to YouTube and type in how to set a cam sensor on a 1987 Buick grand national it should pop up. Maybe helpful to see what should be done then someone telling you over the internet.

I know the procedure and it looks like it should be very easy with the tool. The light cam on and it was supposed to be set correctly according to the sensor tool but no start unless I moved it more. I do have a 212/212 cam if that makes any difference. Trying to get any extra info today before I go through this again later. If it doesn't work today, I'm giving up on it until I can get someone to help me that knows what the hell they are doing. What a PITA!

You have to make sure you have the number one piston on the correct stroke, intake not exhaust. Then do what you did before.

As Gene mentioned. #1 piston needs be 25 past TDC. Take spark plug out , listen for the thrush of air. They can be a pain , taking a walk always helps when I wanna light the SOB on fire.

This is why a built a timing light that triggers off of the cam sensor so I know exactly where the cam sensor is set.

I take out the #1 plug and disconnect the orange wire . Stick my finger in the sparkplug hole and have someone bump till you hear a qeaff and then u on the compression stroke . Then take it to the 1.45" past TDC . Drop in the sensor window towards DS and then turn clockwise till voltage goes up then counterclockwise till voltage just drops . Tighten and enjoy .