Camshaft upgrade gains

GNbythebay

This past weekend I brought my 86 GN down OCMD cruisin' week and i learned alot on my 450 mile weekend. I learned the car is a joy to drive and also learned it needs more power! As my car sits now it has 42lbs injectors, 340 walbro fuel pump, comp cams 980 valve springs, hot wire kit, alkycontrol, scanmaster, intake, and exhaust eletric cutout/dump. With the upgrades I have now what will be the best bang for the buck Camshaft? I am hoping to spend $250-$500. Also this time next year I plan on getting a bigger turbo/downpipe With a stall converter (not sure if that information will help you determine your decision for a camshaft.)

Cam will not give you much bang for your buck in a turbo Buick. Also for reliability most people upgrade to a roller cam and that is a $1k upgrade. I would save your money until you can upgrade the turbo and converter at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do do a cam definitely go roller . And I ran a 214/210 for awhile and it was a great street cam .

What injectors & chip are you running?

How much boost?

You have alcohol injection? Might try increasing the boost a bit.

EDIT: How many miles on your engine? Has the timing chain been replaced?

What is the current performance? What boost? Stock cam is good into the 10s. As has already been said you have better things to spend $$ on. What chip, maf, etc? Powerlogger?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

This past weekend I brought my 86 GN down OCMD cruisin' week and i learned alot on my 450 mile weekend. I learned the car is a joy to drive and also learned it needs more power! As my car sits now it has 42lbs injectors, 340 walbro fuel pump, comp cams 980 valve springs, hot wire kit, alkycontrol, scanmaster, intake, and exhaust eletric cutout/dump. With the upgrades I have now what will be the best bang for the buck Camshaft? I am hoping to spend $250-$500. Also this time next year I plan on getting a bigger turbo/downpipe With a stall converter (not sure if that information will help you determine your decision for a camshaft.)
A very good tune and a set of drag radials.after that a 49 turbo and a tranny

Run good oil and ZDDP and keep the stock cam and if you swap it wait till you can go roller. You should put your combo in your sig. Set a goal and build your combo around that. You have enough injector with the alky to safely go 11.0 A TA49 and proper chip and a lil tuning and your there.

This past weekend I brought my 86 GN down OCMD cruisin' week and i learned alot on my 450 mile weekend. I learned the car is a joy

You'll change your mind right after you screw with that cam.

As a new owner with a new-to-you car, there are two things you NEVER want to put hands on until you have to. The cam and the head gaskets. Don't mess with those.

All you'll do is get a car that pisses you off. You'll either end up with yard art and parts scattered all over the house while you dump a shitload of money into it. -OR- you'll end up with a scattered plethora of garage art then dump the car for a loss after only spending a lot of money.

Do all the basic preventative maintenance and all the ''boring'' small bolt on mods. The car will be reliable, get good gas mileage, and not be a PIA.

My buddy's car has a completely stock engine only valve springs!
he put down almost 500rwhp so I don't think a different cam u will help you Achieve what ur looking for powerwise!

I would throw the money at a bigger turbo and if e-85 is in your area switch over! But u will need to upgrade ur fuel system for e-85

I know the cam isn't necessary to run fast times, but say going roller wouldn't that make more power from less friction?