Can I fit 315/45/16 tires on 10" wide 16" wheels without rubbing? ---

alwayscode390

Are the 315/45/16 's a possibility if you use 10" wide 16" tall stretched TTA wheels? I see a few GN's running it , but most people are using the 295/50/16.

315/45/16 = 12.4" wide, 27.1" tall
295/50/16 = 11.6" wide, 27.6" tall

STOCK (on 8" wide wheels):

245/40/16 = 9.6" wide, 25.6" tall

I would prefer the shorter wider tire of the 315 if I can fit it.

I was told the popular 315/35/17 combo fits a stock car without rubbing ... specs:

315/35/17 = 12.4" wide, 25.6" tall

... I would guess the only thing to cause me to rub would be the 1.5" tire height difference from the 17 to the 16 315's?

I wish I could find 315/40/16 because that would be perfect ... 12.4" wide and 25.9" tall

Do you just recommend I run the combo most people are running ... the 295's?

Thanks for the help !!! :) ---

I'm pretty sure those 315s will rub. I'm running M@H Racemaster 295s on back. But I'm running the front wheels on the back, so it sets the wheel out from the framerail, slightly. Still, its close. No way it would fit a 315.

Thanks for the help.

Is it the sidewall that is getting really close? I heard the 295's on the 8" wheel have a LOT of sidewall bulge on them. ---

8^), i have GN but i am running 18x10 rim 295/40-18 in back (28 inch tall 11 inch foot print,Falken Azenis)

315's are sweet on a third gen F-Body. If you have your heart set on them, you can get them to fit quite well on a 16" rim. But in my honest opinion though, I would just store the original TTA rims and get aftermarket 17" rims to run the 315's on. Either that, or like you said, just run the 295's. Here is a set of 315's...

img_6997.jpg

Damn, those dont look like they just bolt up HAHAH

You mean if I want them to fit ... I can do some modification for them to work. What kind of modding? ---

With any luck Pablo will find this thread, as he went the 315 route with his 3rd gen F-Body, but he did it the right way. I'm sure he can add some insight to help out either way if you don't want to cut anything up though. Normally we roll the fender and remove the bump stop and obtain proper backspacing. Below is Pablo's car...

268888_1432297503920_1727373015_671168_6072399_n.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Is it the sidewall that is getting really close? I heard the 295's on the 8" wheel have a LOT of sidewall bulge on them. ---

I had the Mickey Thompson 295s on the stock rims and didn't like them. They bulged too much for my taste. However, the M&H Racemaster 295s are a bit more narrow and don't bulge nearly as much. IMO, they look much better. Like the Mickey's, they are basically 28inch tall tires, so they fill out the wheel well nicely. No rubbing, either.

Sure, you can use spacers on larger tires, but personally, I think these cars start lookin' hoopty with tires sticking way out past the fender lines... But that's just my personal opinion. To each his own.

Ahhh, so your talking MINI TUBS to do it the "right" way. I dont want to go that route. HAHAH

So, the easy way is removing the bump stop and rolling the fenders?

Thanks for the heads up on the MT's vs M&Hs

I would hope to have them flush with the fender lip ... definately not hanging out ---

You have plenty of options if you want to go the 315 route. All of the third gen guys I know remove the bump stop, roll the fender, and do some grinding to make the area behind the rim flat and flush so that they can then focus on their backspacing. You have to remember that these care are designed with a panhard bar, so the rear moves right and left depending on the way you turn, and just because you see the rim sticking out of the fender in a picture doesn't mean that it really does when the car is centered. Anybody who parks their car after making a wide turn will see that one side sticks out more than the other. Anyways, the 315 is a very wide tire, and it wasn't really made to fit a 3rd gen like stock, but they do make fender extensions (they resemble the 82 models, which are out more) for these cars to tuck the 315 in if you want to go to the extreme by cutting and welding them in, but with a TTA, I wouldn't bother. I am running a 17/9.5" rim on the back of my GTA/TTA with a 275 tire, and the tires look tiny. I'm stepping up to a 315 tire and it will not stick out, I guarantee it, just pay close attention to detail if you go the 315 route...

Are the rear of these cars exactly like the 4th gens? I heard most of the suspension stuff swaps over? Are the dimensions the same?

I had 315/35/17's on my 96' z28.

Thanks for all your help and pics, thats awesome!!! :) ---

The 4th Gen rear end is slightly wider. Everything else is pretty close but the body/width difference makes it a different animal on this subject

I see some people are running the 255/50/16 on the rears ... can they fit on the front without any rubbing?

They are .4" taller than stock , and .4" wider ---