Can't get drum off

tta1401

I have a drum that will not come off my car.:mad: The only thing that looks like anything that would help back the shoes off the drum is a big nut on the back that is on top above the wheel cylinder. My friend said that there might be rubber boot that has the star adjuster located inside but there isn't any rubber boot. How do I do this? This is bothering the crap out of me!

TIA,

They tend to stick at the axle end. Best thing to do is begin soaking that area with penetrating oil or WD40, whatever you have. Do that for a coupla days and then start tapping around the back edge of the drum, medium hits, to work it off the end of the axle. If that fails you can rent a drum puller from a rental store.

If the wheel turns somewhat easily (1/2 turn freehanded) the shoe adjustment is not the issue. You have to knock out the adjustment hole on some vehicles. Depending on the side in question is the side you knock out.

Good luck.

Just got them off. I had to give them some love taps but I really hated doing that since they are the aluminum drums but they are alright. Thanks for the reply!

I was afraid to hit my drums one time and my Father-in-law (a mechanic) just told me to hit them on the front, not the back edge. If felt odd at first but works perfectly, pound on the front face of the drum near the perimeter to cause the drum to rock out at the opposite edge, then hit that side back down and the other side will pry out too. A couple of those and its off. Hitting the back of the edge which is what I have tried doesn't work as well and an easily take chunks out of the drum. The front face is really tough as it turns out.