Car won't start

J-Rod

Just recently got the car back together. Been having issues with the car just not running right. I have a pressure gauge on the rail, and fuel pressure is fine.

First I checked the header tubes with a temp gun and noticed #2 and #6 were colder at idle by about 200 degrees so I figured that coil was bad which feeds both of those cylinders. I have 3 spare coils and all of them including the one I suspected was bad all check out good ~11K ohm. I swappd all of them, and no change in behavior with any of them.

The car went from running rough to a backfire/no start condition. I've checked the cam sensor with a cam sensor tool and it is in the right spot and triggers the sensor. I've pulled plugs and the injectors are wet which led me to believe the crank sensor is ok as the injectors are firing. When I pull a plug out and crank the motor over I get no spark. But when it tries to start I will see a spark. So spark is intermittent.

I took the three modules I had to O'Riellys to check on their machine. On their machine they all checked out bad. So I picked up a new Borg Warner module (CPE 100). Put it on, and the car still wouldn't start. Took the new module to be checked on the machine, and it checked bad. Got the other new module they had in stock, and it checked bad. Took it home, and car wouldn't start. Had them order 3 more new modules, all of them checked out bad. Took my new module that was "bad" to another store. They checked it on their machine, and it checks out good. So now I need to take all my bad modules to that store and have them checked again and see if I can determine which machine is right. :( Ugh...

The computer in the car is set up for low impedance injectors. So, I'm going to go back and check the cam and crank sensor again, check all the coils again, and then move to swapping the computer with a spare stock computer I have along with some 42# high impedance injectors to try to rule out the computer.

Just looking for anything I might have missed, or anything I may have overlooked, or any other suggestions.

My first thought is, see about borrowing another fp gauge.
Next thought, a friend willing to swap a know good module and coil from his car to yours.
Intermittent spark is a vexing thing. Maybe a module and coil from kirban or nos4gn or another vender you can count on to be good instead of the overseas low bidder stuff from the local part house.
All cylinders have good compression?
If so, just need the fuel and the spark at the correct time. Cam sensor spinning when cranking car over?
I kinda scatter shooting.

Where are you located?

I have a known working coil pack and module and also a known working ECM you could borrow. Cam and crank sensor too, for that matter.

You may have already checked but the connections between the module and coil pack should be validated as correct. I think there is a picture on gnttype.org. The reason I suspect that is 3-6 is a coil pair, not 2-6. Therefore you could have up to 4 coil towers wired incorrectly. That would explain a miss. I know there is a daisy chain of wires on one side of the coils but memory evades me of the way it should be.

I'm located in Texas (just outside of Houston). I have a friend with a TTA and one of my next things will be to go borrow his coil and module.

John its my bad on the coil pair. It was the pair of cylinders on the coil on the driver side. I do have the diagram for the coil wiring, and you are correct, you can wire them backwards easily.

Going to spend the day swapping stuff to see what I can find. Had to go pick up a starter as the backfire broke the starter.

A couple of things for you. Crank sensor controls spark. No oil pressure the crank sensor will not fire. Cam sensor controls injectors. Modded ECM's can use high and low ohm injectors.

I'm located in Texas (just outside of Houston). I have a friend with a TTA and one of my next things will be to go borrow his coil and module.

John its my bad on the coil pair. It was the pair of cylinders on the coil on the driver side. I do have the diagram for the coil wiring, and you are correct, you can wire them backwards easily.

Going to spend the day swapping stuff to see what I can find. Had to go pick up a starter as the backfire broke the starter.

Yeah, I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

If you need them and want to pay for the ride both ways, let me know. Not for sale, though.

Might need to put a meter on that crank sensor to see if it is working. Also check the clearance on that crank sensor. You say it was recently apart. You might have hit the sensor with the crank wheel(not good).
You said the plugs are wet so I am thinking you have fuel. The back fire worries me. How old is the timing set? Is it a plastic gear stocker you might have jumped time.

A couple of things for you. Crank sensor controls spark. No oil pressure the crank sensor will not fire. Cam sensor controls injectors. Modded ECM's can use high and low ohm injectors.
How does lack of oil pressure prevent the crank sensor from firing? Per Vortex Buick all it does is light the oil bulb on the dash.

How does lack of oil pressure prevent the crank sensor from firing? Per Vortex Buick all it does is light the oil bulb on the dash.

I doesn't. it would only do that if the fuel pump relay was bad or the signal was lost from the ecm and the car was running off the oil switch.

To the O.P.
Replace the crank sensor.