cleaning up the engine...

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i was looking at my engine the other day, and it looks nice, but a little dirty, and ever since then its been bothering me... im on spring break so i got nothing else to do.. what can i use to get my wittle engine looking (almost) new again?

-neil

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but, I go to the car wash and use the high pressure to get the bottom of the car, wheel wells and motor clean. My engine isn't dirty, just dusty so it doesn't take much. I only do this once or twice a year. Just make sure you don't directly spray any electrical componets and keep the car running. Just in case. After it dries, I spray everything down with Almost Magic and let it sit overnight then wipe it down. Keeps everything looking new. I do this to all 3 of our cars even though they didn't start out as clean as the GN. If yours is greasy, try the degreaser/tire cleaner at the wash. I've had very good luck getting even the dirtiest engines clean. Good Luck

I try to do this once a year with the daily drive. (above mentioned application, my dad always did this in the spring and just before winter) If motor compartment is just dusty (on the TR or GN)a nice air hose application can remove a lot of the dust as well. We then detail with some vinyl application to make everything look nice and shiney. What little metal we use a bit of alumium polish on and it's usually just general maintenance for the season after that.

You would be amazed how much good a good dousing of 409, 60 seconds wait time, and a good garden hosing will do. Wipe it down when done. Leave the car running while you spray and hose.

Neil...go to Discount Auto and buy a gallon of Purple Stuff. It's phenomenal...like Super Clean only cheaper and I think even stronger. I use it on my engine and on the interior of my po'car. It'll dry out your hands, so watch out a little.

Alternative is to spray the engine down with water and sprinkle powdered detergent on it. Let it sit for a couple hours and hose it off...be clean as a whistle. Don't directly spray the hose at important things (Heather doesn't count).

Don't get any of these cleaners on your painted surfaces. Many of these cleaners will instantly etch your paint. You'll be wet sanding and buffing to get the spots off.

I clean my engine compartment with my pressure washer. I remove my ignition module/coilpak. I sometimes use spray gunk because it doesn't make marks on the paint. Before I restart, I blow all the water off everything with compressed air especially electrical components. ;)