Considering E85

kkash48

Hi all. I have been reading, reading, and reading about E85 - the set-ups and opinions posted here. Would like to try this fuel out since I have a station near me. Just want a sanity check on what conversion I will need to run this fuel safely in my car:

1) I currently have 38lb injectors, so I am reading I need at least 80lb injectors. Should I go higher (like 120's?) - My car goal is low 12's.
2) I have a Deatschwerks 9-301 fuel pump (not sure how old the model / version is). Will this suffice? Do I need a double pumper?
3) I read I need to upgrade my fuel lines also. Any kits better than any others? I saw some folks are using a Racetronix Fuel line kit? Is this good? Or any alternatives?
4) Any other parts or considerations to run this fuel safely in my car?

I have looked for a straight forward FAQ on this, but haven't seen it or have missed it completely - so apologies if questions are redundant.

Thanks all!

For your goal a set of 80's, a DW300, a racetronix Hotwire with new "inside the tank" intermediate harness, and a caspers volt booster, a TT chip and stock fuel lines will be plenty more than enough to support low 12's.

My wife's car runs mid 11's with these parts and the injectors are only at 80% or so

AGREE, maybe update the pump and hose in tank just in case. 80s run fine with TT chip set for e-85 with good idle & power! Bigger return line is a nice plan as you grow and confirm your in line filter for ease of replacement to be safe. I go 35 miles for e-85 then store for no more than 90 days but you have local to enjoy.

Thanks all. So I don't need to run new fuel lines? From reading - there seems to be some debate as to the E-85 causing issues to the fuel lines. Appreciate the feedback!

?????? on the feed line................. the orig lines up front may be weak so best to try awhile with good filter and watch!! If staying w/ e-85 or concerned as to orig lines then update to eliminate doubt!!
See the various methods posted here to choose ..................

Stock fuel lines have been great on mine. It's been about 6 yrs now on E85. Since 2008. Fuel pressure transducer shows good fuel pressure control with a solid 75psi at full throttle

Hi all. I have been reading, reading, and reading about E85 - the set-ups and opinions posted here. Would like to try this fuel out since I have a station near me. Just want a sanity check on what conversion I will need to run this fuel safely in my car:

1) I currently have 38lb injectors, so I am reading I need at least 80lb injectors. Should I go higher (like 120's?) - My car goal is low 12's.
2) I have a Deatschwerks 9-301 fuel pump (not sure how old the model / version is). Will this suffice? Do I need a double pumper?
3) I read I need to upgrade my fuel lines also. Any kits better than any others? I saw some folks are using a Racetronix Fuel line kit? Is this good? Or any alternatives?
4) Any other parts or considerations to run this fuel safely in my car?

I have looked for a straight forward FAQ on this, but haven't seen it or have missed it completely - so apologies if questions are redundant.

Thanks all!

get the 80's .. leave the stock lines... make sure you have clean power at the DW301 pump ( I see its hotwired) .. make sure to change the fuel filter after you switch to E85
Get Eric's chip for the 80's with the parts you have on your car ...

If it has a stock trans in it.. with the boost turned up on E85 its on borrowed time...
if it has the stock turbo on it ... that's the limitation on E85
add in a 44 to what you have and it will run solid 11's in street trim and be an absolute blast to drive ... you can push that setup to lower 11's with no problem

Just a follow-up update for future newbie's searching on this topic / thread:

1) Converted to E85 using Stock Fuel lines. Running 80lb injectors, new DW pump, hotwired with voltbooster and Eric's E85 chip.
2) I did not have any issue with return line or fuel pressure (I am happy about that).
3) Car idles great. I notice a lot more power and response. The whole car just runs better.. period.

E85 is AWESOME!! .. Thank you everyone that responded for your help and guidance! Time to shore up the trans and keep an eye out for a TE44 :)

Just a follow-up update for future newbie's searching on this topic / thread:

1) Converted to E85 using Stock Fuel lines. Running 80lb injectors, new DW pump, hotwired with voltbooster and Eric's E85 chip.
2) I did not have any issue with return line or fuel pressure (I am happy about that).
3) Car idles great. I notice a lot more power and response. The whole car just runs better.. period.

E85 is AWESOME!! .. Thank you everyone that responded for your help and guidance! Time to shore up the trans and keep an eye out for a TE44 :)

Sorry I know this is an old thread. However, I was wondering how your car is running a year later? And how do you like E85 now?

Been on E-85 for over a year in C. Florida & travel 25 miles for fuel!!! I like the confidence the fuel brings. We MUST appeal to the various companies to provide E-85 as a profitable venue for their locations!!!!!! I also feel you must turn up the pressure to achieve the best All in all, I feel the conversion is the best one can do if fuel is available or pay $ 9.00 a gallon for race fuel and hop it is what it's supposed to be??????

Seedling .. Car is running great! Since my last post, I upgraded to a 5858 turbo and can run 25lbs boost no without issue on E85. (Working on the Spoolup though). Regardless, E85 has been the best single upgrade I did to my car. No issues at all. I even stored it for 5 months during the winter with a full tank of E85 (I added a stabilizer just in case), but she fired right up and no issues. Fuel filter is clean as day. I wouldn't hesitate to switch to it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seedling .. Car is running great! Since my last post, I upgraded to a 5858 turbo and can run 25lbs boost no without issue on E85. (Working on the Spoolup though). Regardless, E85 has been the best single upgrade I did to my car. No issues at all. I even stored it for 5 months during the winter with a full tank of E85 (I added a stabilizer just in case), but she fired right up and no issues. Fuel filter is clean as day. I wouldn't hesitate to switch to it. Good luck!

Wow! Thanks man! That sounds very promising then! It sure looks like the simplest solution and it seems safer than alky too. So I may have to bite the bullet! Thanks for the response!!

Wow! Thanks man! That sounds very promising then! It sure looks like the simplest solution and it seems safer than alky too. So I may have to bite the bullet! Thanks for the response!!

No problem! I've never done Alky, but read that is a great solution also to get your boost up. I'm sure there are pros and cons if you compare the two. There is an E85 station a block away so that direction was a no-brainier for me. Inbox me if you have any questions. I can try and answer based on what I know. There are some awesome people on this site that answered my questions and helped me get to where I am at (special thanks to Steve/BEATAV8 and Prasad/WIKEDV6 for dealing with my endless questions / messages .. also Turbo89 .. along with my buddy Jay/ TURBOJAY !!!!!). I am very appreciative of all of their valued time! Good luck Seedling! You will love it!!

Last edited:
Gapping the plugs tighter should be included as well.
I've got mine at .025" and have read some went as low as .020 to keep stock coil and ignition module happy at #25 + boost levels.

Gapping the plugs tighter should be included as well.
I've got mine at .025" and have read some went as low as .020 to keep stock coil and ignition module happy at #25 + boost levels.
My car sat up for like 8-9 years. And after its "spring cleaning" one of the first times I rolled on the throttle (didn't get past 2/3's to 3/4 throttle at about 45mph) when it ignited the rear tires and zoomed to like 19 or 20 psi. I immediately got on here and was told how to fix it, so it hasn't been there since. However, knowing what that felt like I can't imagine what a 25psi blast would feel like!!!

Any trips to the track ?.

Any trips to the track ?.

Just an update to this Limited T... Finally made it to the track last week. I ran a best of 12.4 with a terrible 60ft of 2.02 on some 26' Nitto drag radials. Very happy with the pass since it's been nearly 20 years since I've been to a track! Thanks to Beatav8 and wikedv6 for dealing with my silly learning curve questions! I've come a long way! Next up, some 28' tires and a 6.1 chip ... and a lot more track launch practice!!! Cheers!

Had some boost creep going, but no knock on E85 at 29psi!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 179