converter locking up before i make it through traffic light...?

spooledyou

I rip people off. Do not deal with me.
as i said, i have a fresh new tranny, sent my fti converter out to be checked before installing, and im having the same problem as before, not all the time but whenever its pretty hot out, and im on the highway, when i pull off an get to the light, when it turns green , i dont make it past the light before the converter is locking up in 2nd an 3rd gear, like the car shifts immedeatly, and is in very very low rpm...? i know the converter is locking up cos as soon as this happends, i put my other foot on the brake slightly, and the car sounds like it down shifts, take my foot off the brake an it goes back into lock up.. any ideas what this could be.. ????

Sounds like lock up solonoid.I use the universal 700/200 unit.It wouldn't hurt to check the wireing for a short to ground from the wire that goes to ecm(control)

Kevin

It sounded like a typical bad lockup solenoid until you got to the part where you said it unlocks when you touch the brake pedal. If what you are saying is accurate then it points towards an electrical problem.

Some models of the 200-4R transmissions have a temperature switch in the oil pan. I'm not sure if this is used to lock up the TCC (as is with the 700R4 transmissions) or if it just goes out as a signal.

It may be that it is being used to lockup the TCC when the transmission oil temperature gets too high. By locking the converter there is less heat generated.

If so this switch can be eliminated or bypassed (just unplug it?).

RemoveBeforeFlight