Convince me

G

GNJeremy

I am REALLY close to geting an SMC alky kit, but i need to know how gaudy that in-car thing is. Is there a buttload of wires sticking out of it? Can I hide is somewhere once I got it tuned? does it have to be there at all once it's tuned? I want one bad, but I don't want a dead giveaway spray box like that in my car!

Suggestions? I'm sick of replacing O2's

SMC wire length.

I ended up putting mine on the side of the dash, it isn't stealthy. But I was in a hurry to set mine up. It does come with enough wire to run it to counsel glove box(if you run the wiring thru the passenger side firewall, instead of the recommended driverside firewall. The only problem I'd see in putting it there is you wouldn't see the low alky light,if you were getting low. And taking a hard run with high boost and pump gas with not enough alky to get you thru a full tilt WOT run may lead to disaster.:eek: You could put it in the regular glove box. I had alot of excees wire that was zipped tied up and out of sight in the event I move the box to the counsel glove-box. The unit isn't as large as they look on the web page a tad bigger than a pack of cigarretes(about the same dimensions only wider) Hope this helps. I'm running 20lbs of boost with an old ATR chip, probably at least 26* timing at WOT, and just using Walmart special Isopropylol 70% with 91 pump gas. Depending on the load KR=0 -1.9. Waiting on a new Lubrant chip with more timing on the bottom 30-ish and then about 22-23 on the top. Just want a little bit of safety margin on top, thus the lower timing. Not going to bump up the boost past 20 until I tune with this new Lubrant chip.:D We can get away with a little more timing and less octane at altutude(5200 ft").

In my WE4 I mounted my control in the glove box. Mine was an add-on to a DIY kit (shoulda just got the SMC kit to begin with!). There is an existing hole under the heater box. Drop the panel under the glove box and you'll see it. Pop open the door and you can see it relatively easily while tuning. Close the door and it's "alky... what alky?!"!

Ran up to 26 psi on 93 octane and denatured... believe the chip is in the low-mid 20 degree range.

How difficult is it to install the SMC kit? It looks fairly simple....... but so do a lot of things:rolleyes:

So I am correct in believing that the controllor can be hidden in the glove box? No wires out in the open to be snagged or look suspicious?

I saw a couple of pic with the controller mounted on the side of the console (driverside close to the seat). Look pretty concealed and easy to get to. Very clean also.

Blackbadge,

I will have to look at my chip again but you might want a little more timing on the bottom, with the alky you should be able to handle in the area of mid 40's under 128 load val and with higher load values in the 23-26. Ed is running in the 40's bottom load values and 22-26 on higher load value with the nitrous and race gas, 23-19 with pump gas. It will give you better response. Just a thought.

Chuck

Timing

Thanks, I actually mentioned I wanted more then 30, I know Mr.Davis runs at least 36* all the way thru, It's an old Conley mag4 I believe? As you well know the high timing makes for better throttle response and quicker spool-up thats why I always ran the Pitbull ,she just came alive with timing, tried a couple 19*chips(yawn). Mr. Lubrant was going to use the Quick spool program, now it may just be more timing on the bottom, I'm not sure exactly what he tweaks?. Met Roc 87 the other day, very nice guy. Has a nice car. He seemed to be impressed with the alky system. We went for a little stroll. 20lbs of boost (sure gets to 20 in a heart beat now with the stock turbo with 26*timing(actually it's probably 28 on the bottom and 26 at WOT) now ,she'd(turbo) probably scream like a banshee at 40*, ) on 70% isopropylol. Thanks again and take care. .;) It's probably already burnt so I'll just stick with the it ,as it's probably going to be fine for my stock combo.

BOTLFED

It's incredible what Ed's GN can handle, 40* on the Bottom!? I'm not going to screw with anything on the timing until the DS comes in, But the Car sure idles better by changing injectors (chip) to 47# instead of the 49#, MSD 50#'s Really 50#'s?? DON'T THINK SO!

GNjeremy, if anybody near you has a SMC kit installed, beg for a ride and that'll convince you! I was surprised at the size of the control box, the SMC web site needs to get a better picture up, because it's smaller than what it looks like in the pic, I was thinking about where I'd put it, And still be able to see that low alky light, thinking about opening up the control box and running some relays from the LEDS for the "spray on" and the "low alky" to the dash "Idiot" lights that say "power injection" and "low fuel". Might work, never know! (going to email steve and see what he says)

Roc87,

When you start making adjustments, make very small adjustments to start with. If you would like email your bin when you get done and I wll look it over and make any suggestions. It would help if you did a couple direct scan runs and email as well.

Blackbadger,

Did you ever get to see the turbo bike yet, it runs best with the water/alky setup.

http://ourworld-top.cs.com/wilkinshc200/myhomepage/auto.html

It dynoed 268 at the rear wheel (wheels when the wheelie bar is in use):D

Chuck

Actually I just sold it 3 weeks ago, nobody to ride with.:(

But it was fun playing with the GN's with it, you'll have to ask Mark what it's like racing a 8 sec bike. You don't even get to see the taillights.:D Does get interesting trying to slow down from 160 mph or so on Southern Blvd. :D Block and a half to get to 160 but it seems like 2-3 block to stop it.

Chuck

If you would like to get together sometime and direct scan the car let me know. Tell Lee and the rest that we have switched the time a Dions to 2pm on Sunday to take advantage of the Sun.

Thanks!

That would be nice Chuck. Thanks for offering. Let me get this new JL chip in and tune to it, as I also have a new walbro 340, I need to install. Would love to have it done once I have things tuned to the best of my abilities. I'll be seeing Lee tommorrow as we will be installing his beefed up tranny, and I'll let him know about the time change. Again thanks for the offer.:cool:

The death cycle!

Hey wilkins good thing you sold that crazy bike. you started to look like those motorcycles from the movie TRON! Oh and i don't know if you consider that trying to stop that one day we left from dions that day. its more like PRAYING to stop!:eek: You should have kept it a little longer we could have strapped a bottle on it and hired a midget to race it at Pueblo:D

It was fun, you never know. I might get that urge again but I think next time it will be water-cooled and fuel injected. Can we say FAST. Next time you needed to jump on back and fly with me.:eek: :eek: I will even put the juice on it for an intercool.:D

Chuck