cool intake temps

jim0207

INVNO1
Can 34 degrees outside temp be good and bad. I run Razor Alky, It's set at 6. Pump gas 93 octane. 17 lbs boost. I was tuning the new system when the air temp dropped. The car ran great when the air was 50 and above. Now the air is cold and dense. By the seat of the pants driving she does not pull as hard as before. Every time I have ventured out to record, OTC 4000, I see the police. The track is open Sunday and the forecast is 34 degrees. Am I running to cool? Engine stat 160. Should I reinstall the intake coolant lines? Should I lower the Alky control knob. How about the plugs, maybe a set of stock plugs gaped at 32. I run straight water with RMI 25.

There is a discussion in the Alky section about less alky in cold weather you should read.

Personally I make sure the car has reached full warm up temp and lower my setting from 6 to 5 in that low of temp.
If I see a little knock 1 degree I add a little more alky. I run a single nozzle mid to low 11s.

I should state that my TT 6.1 chip adds the extra fuel for cold weather. If your chip does not, make sure to check your O2 readings. At 17 lbs and 93 you are in a safe tune if you are running stock parts? What times are you running?

You dont need to install the coolant lines. A fresh set of plugs is always a good idea .032-.030 check the condition of the old plugs, you may find they are black (to rich). test your water for freezing point, not sure what RMI will protect?

rmi will do nothing to prevent freezup , so if temps dip below 32degF plan on adding some antifreeze (drain rad and refill with up to a gallon of straight antifreeze) or get i into a warmer location

and 17 psi with alky , have to ask then why run alky
the alky is progressive and as you turn the boost up the alky will increase output , without knowing the intercooler efficiency (inlet temps at plenum ) there no real way to judge whats too much alky other than if you get knock you either have way too much or dont have enough
ive never run mine much past half way.\
and i dont run the timing as high as the ttchip (usually 23/21) , try dropping the timing to 19/18 and get the fueling right first

ive run with inlets at plenum in the low 30s. with cold temps your car will spool better and will make alot of power and will need more fuel than when its warm out , just besure you have enough fuel delivery and injectors to cover the HP with boost turned up

What is your combo, that you need alky with 17 psi of boost? I was able to run more than that with stock turbo stock intercooler stock injectors etc, no alky.

edit: woops pace beat me to the question.

Been a while . . . But if i remember correctly . . . On one application, we ended up adding about 15% fuel for a 65F drop to keep afr in check.

and 17 psi with alky , have to ask then why run alky
the alky is progressive and as you turn the boost up the alky will increase output , without knowing the intercooler efficiency (inlet temps at plenum ) there no real way to judge whats too much alky other than if you get knock you either have way too much or dont have enough
ive never run mine much past half way.\
and i dont run the timing as high as the ttchip (usually 23/21) , try dropping the timing to 19/18 and get the fueling right first

ive run with inlets at plenum in the low 30s. with cold temps your car will spool better and will make alot of power and will need more fuel than when its warm out , just besure you have enough fuel delivery and injectors to cover the HP with boost turned up

Good morning; 009's, stock intercooler, Ported Champion heads, club 206-206, TA62 Persision turbo, TRW forged pistons, Kirban Performance hi performance fuel pump with hot wire , brand new bottom end, TT 5.7 Alky chip, RJC boost control. Earlier I spoke of just installed the Alky kit and tuning it when this cold front came in. This why I am at 17 lbs of boost that and the end of the month county revenue.,