Cooling down the m.a.t.'s before racing a 1/4 mile

Hey gus,

I am curious if anyone has cooled down your M.A.T.s before making a 1/4 mile pass.

I was messing around with my Alkycontrol test button tonight parked. I would see the M.A.T.s drop down to 37 degrees F , intake manifold would be nice & chilled.

I am curious as to if this would improve your 1/4 mile times, maybe even have a lower M.A.T at the end of a pass than if I did not cool down the intake w/the test button.

Thanks , & I hope this was not asked before & I could not find it.

There is no benefit aside from purging air out of lines doing this.

The heat comes from compressing the air=boost. Log your IAT's when you make a run and post back.

Ok, I was just thinking by starting off w/a lower M.A.T's the end of a 1/4 blast might be less?
It would be sorta like when guys ice down there intake manifolds & then run, it will usually always run faster.

My M.A.T.'s in the driveway were @ 90 degree F then when I purged the Alky the temps droped down to 37 degrees.

O-well it was just a thought. I might try it & see if it does any difference.

I logged several runs, & my intake temps would start off @ about 90-95 degrees, & at the end of the runs temp would drop down to 65-69 degrees, then after I let off the throttle, the temp continues to drop down to 43 degrees.
These runs where done on 60-65 degree nights.

Do these temps seem pretty good?

I just have the stock air to water intercooler.

Thanks

I just have the stock air to water intercooler.

what "stock" air to water intercooler do you have??

and guys who ice there intakes in the pits and claim a gain in et are morons , its an absolute waste of ice as just driving to the line after doing a burnout negates any cooling that a bag of ice could have done
ill repeat.. iceing down an intake is a farce

I have a Syclone.
I have iced down my intake before & always ran faster, so it worked for me. I cannot do burnouts, I avoid the water box & go straight to the starting line.

I actually also ice down my intercooler which super chills the water for the intercooler system.
In the staging lanes, I also run my A/C & blow the cold A/C air through the heater core, where I plumbed the intercooler water to go through the heater core.
Dont really need a heater in So Cal anyways.

The purpose of the alcohol is to cool down the charge temps. Icing wont do anything. Well it does.. it makes you wait to race again and racing with a motor that has been rested and allowed to cool will yield more power.

Easy test. get engine temps to 160... purge the alcohol to cool the air.. race down track and get results. Then let engine cool down to 160 again and repeat the test. You wont have any difference.. Dont believe me.. try it.

Funny how its always the slower guys icing down.. if you look at any race car, they never do it. At best it will get water into your injector terminals, or IAC, TPS, or ignition system and screw up your motor.

Years ago I had a customer with a Syclone. He loved hitting the test button at a car show to watch the intake frost up.. did it so much he hydrolocked the motor and broke a piston.

HTH