crank s

ike

my gn raped the crank two weeks ago and it is no good i went to the local chevy dealer and asked if they could still get a stock crank for a gn the answer was no just as i figured but i did notice that the part numbers was the same for the gn and the none turbo car what is up with that ?????

my gn raped the crank two weeks ago and it is no good i went to the local chevy dealer and asked if they could still get a stock crank for a gn the answer was no just as i figured but i did notice that the part numbers was the same for the gn and the none turbo car what is up with that ?????

sometime in the mid 90's the turbo crank was discontinued and was "replaced" in the parts book with a generic crank that served as a replacement for non turbo and turbo engines------------except for the rolled fillets (a big deal) they were identical............RC

FWIW the rolled fillets just made the crank able to take more "cycles" before it fatigued. The na crank and the turbo crank will break at the same power level. So ask yourself this. Would you rather have a used "turbo" crank that's been beaten on for 100k miles, or a "NA" crank out of a car that was babied for 60k miles. I know which one I'd chose. Of course, this is assuming you want a gm crank. The next engine I build will have a forged crank. They've become so reasonable price wise I just can't justify not using one. Food for thought. james