Deep trans pan for 2004R?

newschool72

A few of you have chimed in on my 2004R situation and I have taken it all in and am planning the upgrades now. One of the things I didn't know before my issues was the 2004R ability to suck the pan dry. I think along with the converter, this may have been a big part of my problems. A 13 vane pump and a stock pan setup+ a trans leak may have combined to make the trans slip at WOT.
I need to know the depth of the Hughes aluminum pan, OR any other pan that will give me more fluid to keep this from happening again. My car sits low w the Hotchkis TVS suspension system, so depth of pan is pretty critical. I don't think I could stand more than an extra 1 1/2" in depth before clearance issues.
Help me out guys! Thanks again.

I've just installed my Hughes pan this week. Have installed the 700-4r bottom feeder filter. Only had to grind off 1/4" from the stands for proper fitment.

Will measure it's depth vs the factory 200-4r transmission pan & let you know. By the way, my car is not lowered.
I will take some pics of it as it sits underneath the car. Keep in mind that I'm also running RJC's deep oil pan which doesn't hang down any lower than my hughes deep trans pan.

dave

I've just installed my Hughes pan this week. Have installed the 700-4r bottom feeder filter. Only had to grind off 1/4" from the stands for proper fitment.

Will measure it's depth vs the factory 200-4r transmission pan & let you know. By the way, my car is not lowered.
I will take some pics of it as it sits underneath the car. Keep in mind that I'm also running RJC's deep oil pan which does hang down slightly lower than my hughes deep trans pan.

dave
Thank you, 1 quicksix. A measurement of the difference in the stock vrs hughes would be great.

Just measured the stock pan which was taken off....it's 2.5" deep
My Hughes Deep Pan which holds 2 more quarts of tranny fluid for the 200-r4 is 4.25" deep......so, looks like it will hang down 1.75" lower than a stock pan.

Here's some pics. Sorry for the poor picture quality / resolution....they were taken with my cell phone camera.
Looks like the Hughes Pan does hang down slightly lower than my RJC Deep Oil Pan.

Hope this info & pics are helpful to ya!

dave

Attachments

• Hughes Deep Trans Pan1.jpg
    Hughes Deep Trans Pan1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 838
  • Hughes Deep Trans Pan2.jpg
    Hughes Deep Trans Pan2.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 850
  • Hughes Deep Trans Pan3.jpg
    Hughes Deep Trans Pan3.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 854
My Hughes Deep Pan which holds 2 more quarts of tranny fluid for the 200-r4 is 4.25" deep......so, looks like it will hang down 1.75" lower than a stock pan.

Here's some pics. Sorry for the poor picture quality / resolution....they were taken with my cell phone camera.
Looks like the Hughes Pan does hang down slightly lower than my RJC Deep Oil Pan.

dave
Thank you! I will have to do some figuring. It is only 1/4" lower than the max I wanted to allow. Time to weigh the pluses vrs minuses , LOL.

dave

Where did you get this from, I want / need one too.

Where did you get this from, I want / need one too.

Got mine from Nick Micale at Arizona GN.....give him a call or drop him a PM.
You will be very happy with this unit, it's even supplied with a 700-4r bottom feeder filter.

Support a vendor!

dave

X2 on the hughes pan. very nice piece, mine got one during the rebuild and it probably gives it alot of strength and i have no leaks

I think I am going to go a less expensive route. Dave thinks the 7004R filter cut to fit the stock pan will work fine as long as I change to a 7 or 10 vane pump, and ditch the 13 vane. CK also sells a aftermarket bottom feeder filter and a spacer for the stock pan that I might try out. Thanks for the input to all !

So you want to save a few bucks on a pan and cut-to-fit filter instead of adding about 2 quarts of oil and a deep alum pan for better cooling when heat is the transmission's worst enemy? :confused:

We have found the trans will last much longer especially if it is used hard. After installing the alum pan on our 11-12 sec. GN's which had lots of track time, they would last 2-3 time as long between freshens.

I do not care whose alum pan you decide to use, but it is a very good investment in the life of your trans.

on my 86 i ran the PTS deep sheetmetal from bruce (we4) . its in my 87ttop now. 13qts and rear sump pickup

not sure if bruce has any left
ck. .lonnie or husek should have them and they were also available in a shallow version that holds 11 qts

Attachments

• DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 463
So you want to save a few bucks on a pan and cut-to-fit filter instead of adding about 2 quarts of oil and a deep alum pan for better cooling when heat is the transmission's worst enemy? :confused:

We have found the trans will last much longer especially if it is used hard. After installing the alum pan on our 11-12 sec. GN's which had lots of track time, they would last 2-3 time as long between freshens.

I do not care whose alum pan you decide to use, but it is a very good investment in the life of your trans.
Its not a drag car and will spend 90% of the time as a street cruiser. It is an 11 sec capable car that will turn too, but that wont happen very often at all. The main reason Im shying away from the deep pan ( other than a very tight budget ) is how low the car sits. An extra 2 qts of oil doesn't do much for you if its all over the pavement. Cast aluminum doesn't fair too well in a collision with a pothole. Unlike sheet metal, it cracks like an egg. If I can improve the function with the factory metal pan, for my app. I think its the way to go.

This is the pan I'm going to get fore mine. Check this place out yourcovers.com

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1373681713384.jpg
    1373681713384.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 441
Replaced the tranny with a Art Carr deep cast aluminum pan few years back in my garage and by myself.
lots of cursing, and swearing, and the wife was wearing ear plugs.:oops:

Attachments

• BRG 200R4 Hi-Pro.jpg
    BRG 200R4 Hi-Pro.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 989
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 683