dependability

only"T"intown

I've never owned one of these trucks but am looking to buy one. How dependable are they in general? Anybody have one as a daily driver? :cool:

My wife's truck is her daily driver... I did alot of work to it when we first bought it to make it dependable but every truck can vary on condition.
Her's has 100,000miles on it. We are getting 18mpg in town and it runs 13.10@100mph with everything stock but Intercooler,chip,AFPR,Fuel pump.

She loves driving the truck and I realy enjoy when I get to steal it for a short trip... :D

Go for it!
~Scott

If you want one for a daily driver, keep it as close to stock as possible. I've had my Typhoon since I bought it new in '93. I've got over 155,000 mi on it, nothing ever done to the motor, original turbo, original paint. Other than regular maintenance and a few other things such an an IC pump, ball joints and general front suspension stuff that wears out in any vehicle, it's been a very good dependable vehicle. I drove it from NC to Kansas a few years ago, and wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and drive it on long hauls again. It is about as close to 100% stock as you can get, and I plan on keeping it like that.

I've been driving my ty for about 3 years now with 86K miles on it and it has never broken down on me. I wouldn't start modding it and such, just do a regular tune up on it.

Yup very depedable, Drove mine to S.C. and got 16 mpg with the mods in my sig. And very comfortable.

They are 15 years old so they could need some maintenance if to get them upto par especially if they are original or dreiven hard and poorly modified.

I think they can be dependable with the proper preventative maintenance and upgrades: regular tunes ups (cap, rotor, wires) , replacing vacuum lines, fuel pump, IC pump. The truck have 4 major weak spots. The original transmission, motor mounts & propshaft will eventually need replacing especially if raced. The 4th problem being the original motor, the motor will last quite a while if doesn't ping from detonation, but if its pinging its life will be short and be living on borrow time.

if your trying to get every ounce of output out of it everytime you drive it or if you race it, it'll self destruct. if you drive it sanely and maintain it it's one hell of a cool rare ride. I wouldn't be disouraged by how everyone likes to say they do nothing but break, if you drive it kinda normal and respect it'll last.