Direct drum rings

Alan the 2004r will accept the 604 /4L80E rings but needs to be stretched and shrunk to fit. Less than optimum after the trans gets heat cycled a few times. There are exact fit solid Teflon solid and scarf cut rings from a @#$%^& unit that do fit the 2004R center support. I was making them from Delrin years ago, like the 350 steady rest ring, but it was too difficult so went to the @#$%^&.

Are you referring to Toyota rings? I've heard mention of them but never asked what the application was and if they'd fit a stock drum. I'm glad I started this thread

Yeah those look like the new plastic ones everyone's going to on 4L80e and they won't work for us. I found the right solid teflons but after all the info I've gathered I'm very likely going to put iron rings in the damn thing and stop thinking about it. I measured 4 other drums (2 of them appearing to be near perfect and unmodded) and none of them measure any smaller/more round with the bore gauge (but need work finished on the tabs) so if this drum can't run stock iron rings there probably ain't one in the country that can anymore.

I'm hoping the problems associated with the solid teflons on the center support don't apply to the forward drum also cause I'm planning to run them there

Last edited:
Should point out that I started this thread because it was the first time I'd seen noticeable ring wear and not been able to just throw a different cherry drum in it. My drums were off being welded up on the tabs, I got them back this weekend but they need the welds trued up. So I just got the chance to measure them about 2 hours ago.

Ideally you'd get them milled professionally. I have a buddy with mill access and I'll confess we're going to learn as we go lol. If you only weld up the upper section where the wear is and leave the original dimension at the bottom, you could probably get away with filing it back to that line. Haven't tried it but as long as it fits together and hits the shell evenly I don't see how it would be a failure point even if it's not "correct". Decent drums can still be found individually for the guy who just needs one and even for $60-80 it's probably worth the money for the guy in his garage to not mess with it. Start knocking on the doors of local trans shops and picking up what's out there before they scrap it all. Beware the 200c drum which looks similar to the naked eye but won't fit the 200-4R center support.

I sold both of those drums. They were Th200 drums.
They are harder to find then 200r4, but not valuable except to those that race.

he says transgo makes a high temperature scarf cut teflon ring for the 4l80e and he encouraged me to try them in

4 Teflon rings come in the overhaul kits along with a chrome faced ring for the rear of the stator. The tan rings are the early OEM 4L80E rings.

If I am understanding this correctly( and I usually miss something lol) are the scarf cut rings not the best solutuin??
Great info here!
Thanks

I ended up running iron rings in it. I have an assortment of solid Teflon rings here but didn't run them due to concerns with center support ring land wear and possible shrinkage. I felt like I was being led on a snipe hunt looking for an elusive "cool guy" part and simply got tired of thinking about it and chasing it. I was even told by one person to take the solid Teflons and stretch them a bit and then scarf cut them myself with a razor blade. And that may very well work fine, but I don't care to that extent. As pointed out in the beginning of the thread, iron rings work fine if the drum bore is reasonably round and reasonably close to stock dimension.

*I never followed up on the suggestion of transgo high temp Teflon.

...but I'm still paying attention to this thread....lol

Last edited: